Aquascaping Ideas 55g

ReefAddicted14

My 55 gallon is my very first saltwater aquarium so I'm still learning how to make everything nice and pretty so I thought I would ask for some advice.

The live rock that I have now was given to me free by my LFS as it was already used and nobody wanted it so I took it and did an island style in my tank. However, it doesn't look as I hoped it would be so I decided to order another 15lbs of rock along with my 30lbs already in the tank. I need some help though, 55 gallons are a bit narrow so options are very limited but I would love to hear advice or see some pictures on how to make this tank look great. I am open to all styles, it does not have to be island.

Please help me out!

DaveK

As you have found out, aquascapeing a 55 gal tank as a SW reef is very difficult.

I would say that if money is no object, the best thing to do is replace the tank with either a 70 gal tank or a 90 gal tank. A 70 has the same frontal area as a 55, but it 18 inches wide. A 90 has the same base dimensions as a 70, but is a few inches higher.

Assuming that replacing the tank is not an option at this time. The best use of the rock is to have it higher on one side and taper it down to a lower height on the other side. Since you don't have much on the width of the tank,front to back, don't try to get too fancy with caves and other rock features.

Even with the 45 lbs of rock you have, you are still a bit on the low side for rock, but you might want to keep it that way.

ReefAddicted14

Yes, it is very difficult.

Right now, I am looking on upgrading once I have the money to do so. I was planning on upgrading to a 75g in hopefully a month once I find the right deal and have enough money.

Thanks for the advice!