Aquarium silicone sealant

AJK

Trying to put a sump together, bought some aquarium sealant from LFS (expensive), I used 1.5oz on one baffle !! Need alot more, I did some research, many hobbyist state they use Home depot/Lowe's brand 100% silicone, clear, non toxic. Well, I called home depot, they state all of thier 100% silicone is not aquarium safe. Some hobbyist state they've used GE I or all purpose silicone. I can order from Big Al's online, but really dislike stopping in a middle of a project, Lol !!

Has anyone ever used Hardware store brand 100% silicone for sumps with no complications? Thanx

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I think there is stuff out there but I would order the aquarium stuff. Not the area i'd go cheap on :)

reefguy

Spend the money and do it right. This is not an area where u want to skimp on. Your fish will thank you later.

BLADEYAMAHA

You can find it on eBay, I used black, it comes in gun sizes, clear or black, it just can't be any ole' silicone though. Something like this.

Black
Black Aquarium Silicone Sealant 10 2 FL oz Cartridge | eBay

Clear
Clear Aquarium Silicone Sealant 10 2 FL oz Cartridge | eBay

Silver
Silver Aquarium Silicone Sealant 10 2 FL oz Cartridge | eBay

This is the black I used and still have some, redid my 50 Gallon cube and had some left, I do use it from time to time because I have it around. :D
Black Aquarium Silicone Sealant 10 2 oz Tube | eBay

It all by the same manufacturer though. :)

yankieman

I have used reg silicone many times as long as its 100% pure silicone ,, read all the tubes till you get the right one, I have sealed many tanks and am using baffles in my 55 gal sump from reg 100% silicone i got at menards ,, never had any problems i took the entire bottom off a 55 gal tank and resealed it 8 years ago and its still going strong with fresh water angel fish ,,,,my 20 gal refugium broke the front glass and i replaced it and sealed it with silicone from menards,,

yankieman

And yes GE1 was the first one i used but i cant find it now so i just use the reg 100% silicone

jerry26

I also used ge waterproof 100% silicone to reseal my 100 gallon tank. I havent had any problems but ive only had it in use for a few months.

I did notice that practically every tube at the hardware stores said "not for use below the water line" but honestly i think thats just because they dont test it that way and they dont want to risk being held liable. But idk if thats a fact.

BLADEYAMAHA

Silicone that has mold inhibitors is not the stuff to use in an aquarium, it will constantly mess with the biological nature of the tank.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
The GE 1 stuff is supposed to work if you can find it but if you have to order, just get the aquarium stuff

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
GE 1, 100% pure silicone will work fine, used it many times. Blades posted ebay listings are bout the same price though. Up to you. Just make sure it says 100% Pure silicone and doesn't include mold inhibitors....

yankieman

Silicone that has mold inhibitors is not the stuff to use in an aquarium, it will constantly mess with the biological nature of the tank.

Thats correct ,, make sure its 100% pure silicone ,,and no additives, and when I have read the labels some say not for aquarium use or under water application but some dont ,, I get the ones that dont mention it and are 100% silicone ,,, and has worked fine for me for many years,,,

StirCrayzy

I bought a caulk gun sized tube of aquarium silicone at my LFS for $12.
I know they get ya for the smaller tubes, but, how expenwize is a big tube elaewhere???
Ill have the brand name on monday when im back at work.

FYI
You need to use weld-on #16 before u put on the aquarium sealant
The sealant only covers the the joining parts. The weld-on actually glues the parts together so they don't move.
I used only aquarium sealant and my walls loosened after a while

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
$13.92 for aquarium sealant at my pet supplies plus. Not the best place tp buy supplies but it was 10 ounces so it should do the job

BLADEYAMAHA

I bought a caulk gun sized tube of aquarium silicone at my LFS for $12.
I know they get ya for the smaller tubes, but, how expenwize is a big tube elaewhere???
Ill have the brand name on monday when im back at work.

You can find it on eBay, I used black, it comes in gun sizes, clear or black, it just can't be any ole' silicone though. Something like this.

Black
Black Aquarium Silicone Sealant 10 2 FL oz Cartridge | eBay

Clear
Clear Aquarium Silicone Sealant 10 2 FL oz Cartridge | eBay

Silver
Silver Aquarium Silicone Sealant 10 2 FL oz Cartridge | eBay

This is the black I used and still have some, redid my 50 Gallon cube and had some left, I do use it from time to time because I have it around. :D
Black Aquarium Silicone Sealant 10 2 oz Tube | eBay

It all by the same manufacturer though. :)

yankieman

FYI
You need to use weld-on #16 before u put on the aquarium sealant
The sealant only covers the the joining parts. The weld-on actually glues the parts together so they don't move.
I used only aquarium sealant and my walls loosened after a while

I am going to have to disagree with you on that ,, the weldon #16 is for acrylic ,, and if your using that you wont need ANY silicone but only if your going acrylic to acrylic ,, if your a using glass tank you need silicone and i have had no problems using silicone to "glue" in baffles to the glass tank ,, or glass to glass ,, if your walls loosened then you didnt do something right ,,,and I have used dow "100%" silicone for my tanks ,, which by the way i have over 20 tanks and have been sealing tanks for many years ,,,, if you can get the GE 1 brand silicone that is what i consider the best, but i have been using a DOW brand for several years now and have sealed many glass to glass tanks and acrylic to glass baffles ,, if i was going to seal acrylic to acrylic then i would use a weldon acrylic glue,,,

jerry26

the only time ive had problems with silicone holding acrylic to glass was when i used thin acrylic and it was flexing and pulling away from the glass. that eventually led to the baffle completely failing.

AJK

Thank you everyone. I bought Aqueon tank sealant at LFS, rep sold me 3 tubes for the price of 10oz tube, sweet ! I learned quick to use in a well ventilated area. I've seen online vids, where people use rubber silicone to build sumps inside homes. YIKES !!

yankieman

the only time ive had problems with silicone holding acrylic to glass was when i used thin acrylic and it was flexing and pulling away from the glass. that eventually led to the baffle completely failing.

I can understand that , and see where that would be a ,but if you use thicker acrylic and at least 3/16 and better yet 1/4" I think you have no problems ,, 1/8" is not in my opinion thick enough

AJK

Review on aquarium sealant.

Marineland sealant, smells awful, definetly not for in house use, had to open window/doors to air out, also top of tube exploded off, when I was applying pressure, difficult to apply, very messy/sticky.

Aqueon sealant smells to, but not nearly as bad as Marineland, smell reduces quickly, sealant is very easy to apply, dries quickly, only thing I don't like about the Aqueon sealant is the tube is very hard to squeeze, while marineland was very easy.