Aquarium Controller Comparison Chart

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Re: Aquarium Contorller Comparison Chart

That chart is most helpful indeed. I didn't even know some of those options were available! Thanks for sharing Jayme!

hi... i was going to post a new thread about this but i did i search first, since this one is up ill just go ahead and ask here...
in your experience wich would you say is a good expandable controller, i hear a lot about profilux but i cant find a lot if any information for them... also has anyone tried using arduino and/or a pc as a controller...

steved13

PREMIUM
The link above is out of date. Is there an up to date comparison of controllers?

I haven't seen an up to date comparison chart.

If you have something in particular you need to know, or you're considering a purchase, post a question and someone will be able to give you some feedback.

reggie

Steve - I see lots of talk about Apex, Profilux, and Reef Keeper. I am not going to say spare no expense but I would like a few of the nicer whistles and bells. Prefer to access it from the internet as I travel extensively for weeks at a time. When I do the responsibility falls on my wife which I would like to reduce. She can handle the normal maintenance issues but making the decisions with me away is something I would like to advise on. Knowing first hand the parameters I could send her an email to suggest remedies, additives, water change or whatever.

The bigger issue is I am switching from T5s to LEDs in the next 3 months and want to have total control over the lighting and dimming capability. Of course having the capability to do so over the internet would be a big advantage. At this time I am swaying to the Apex but want to make as informed a decision as possible.

So what are the recommendations and why?

steved13

PREMIUM
Reggie, I hope others will chime in also, I only know for sure what I've used and then what I hear about others. I had an ReefKeeper, and switched to the Apex. The ReefKeeper does what it can do quite well, but I found it's limitations unacceptable (for me no Vortech control). So I switched to the Apex and haven't found anything it can't do that would want it to do. Very good support, and lots of users.

I have heard excellent things about the GHL Profilux, and I'm pretty sure it can do everything an Apex can do, and I even found 1 feature I like better (you can input your location into the GHL and the lunar light phases then coincide with what is really happening in your location, so gravity(tides) will coincide with the lunar lighting) I may switch to the GHL for this feature, unless Neptune Apex releases it. I'm sure most people think I'm crazy for that 1...they won't get any arguement from me.

I would only consider the Apex or the GHL, some of the other I have asked around about but haven't gotten any answers, which leads me to believe not too many users...which could be a problem in itself if you need assistance.

steved13

PREMIUM
1 other thing, if you're going to want all the probes, and bells and whistles from the outset, make sure you price out everything you need, at that point the pricing may become a lot closer.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Very well said Steve.

Reggie KUDOS to you for asking and researching up front. You'll save a LOT of $$ by asking and researching up front. I did with controllers the way I did with lights. I tried to save a few bucks initially and ended up buying some things 2x (or more) and in the end spent more $$ than if I would have bought the better item from the get-go.

What "exactly" are you wanting to "Control" on your tank and what would you "like to control" in the next 12 months. . . Make a list of what you want to do and as a group we can try to help you make an informed decision. I want to stress that there is no controller that's right for everyone. Figure out what seems to be the best fit for you and your needs and invest in that system.

reggie

Per Al's suggestion here are my requirements now and for the future to help make the determination:

Now
Internet connectivity
Internet programming capable
Email alerts
Firmware updates min. twice a year
Ease of programming [if possible]
Customer Service (Tech support)
Energy bar (6 min.)
pH monitor
Temp monitor
Lighting (LED) – dusk to dawn; dimmable
Skimmer control
Fan(s) control

Future
Expandable
ORP monitor
Oxygen probe
Wave maker
Salinity monitor
Lunar simulator
Storm simulator
Sump pump control
ATO control
CA monitor (if this is even available)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Reggie if you don't know this already you're about to learn I'm very partial to GHL ProfiLux controllers and their whole suite of "Tank Management" products. I'll reply to each line item in regards to the ProfiLux line and give some additional input on certain aspects:

Now
Internet connectivity - Built into the unit right from the box.

Internet programming capable
Built into the unit and even includes a Webserver

Email alerts Built into the unit and fully customizable to meet your needs/wants including instantaneous alarms as well as Daily Updates

Firmware updates min. twice a year We've had easily 5 in the past year and more if you include the Software used to control/program the unit from your PC/Laptop (called PCL) Many updates include "Customer Wishes"which are cataloged and addressed on the support forum.

Ease of programming [if possible] From a PC/Laptop many functions are just setting the time/options for many functions. Complex programming can be done combining multiple inputs to create custom outcomes

Customer Service
(Tech support) top notch CS.... including highly involved dealers who help after the initial sale, dedicated Tech Support forum(s), and a highly active Customer driver tech support area

Energy bar (6 min.) 6 outlet standard, 6 outlet PAB an option, 2 outlet HIGH AMP also available for High Amp applications (MH ballasts etc)
pH monitor Standard in even the most basic/beginner package

Temp monitor
Standard in every unit

Lighting (LED) – dusk to dawn; dimmable Fully capable of controlling various types of "Dimmable" illumination from Factory units (AI, Radion in the near future) to DIY units and even dimmable T5 ballasts

Skimmer control
Can be simple On/Off function or can be integrated into other functions for automated routines

Fan(s) control Can be simple On/Off or can be controlled by temp or other monitored criteria and GHL has their own line of controllable fans that really take this to a whole new level

Future
Expandable This is one area where I feel like the ProfiLux may be the most advanced because using EX modules I don't know if there is even a limit to how many modules you can expand to. It could be mind boggling if you sit down and draw out the possibilities. Multiple tanks, Multiple rooms, Multiple levels in a home.

ORP monitor Easily added with a simple module

Oxygen probe Not sure I've seen an O2 option for the ProfiLux or any controller but I need to dig deeper

Wave maker Easy as pie right out of the box

Salinity monitor Easily added with a simple module but also included as standard in many packages

Lunar simulator Easy as pie right out of the box and IMHO ProfiLux has the most advanced Lunar programming available to date

Storm simulator Easy as pie right out of the box and one of the features that helped me decide which controller was ultimately the ideal controller for me

Sump pump control Easy as pie right out of the box

ATO control Easily added with a simple Level Control package and able to control multiple pumps//tanks including helping to automate an "automatic water change" if desired.

CA monitor (if this is even available) Not sure I've seen this option for the ProfiLux or any controller but I need to dig deeper

Now with all the above I admit that GHL is NOT totally perfect and has it's drawbacks but from my experience with this (and many other controllers) I find it to be a in league all it's own in many respects. One huge advancement with GHL is the restructure their whole market (globally) to make the GHL more in line with other controllers from a price standpoint which honestly is the most common negative point for ProfiLux.

I hope this all makes sense. I'll be glad to help in any way I can. Like I said no controller is perfect for everyone and the ProfiLux may or may not be right for you. It's entirely possible it's more than what you really need/want in a Tank Controller but I am pretty sure there isn't anything you want (or ever would want) to control that this unit can't do.

Last edited:

steved13

PREMIUM
FYI for disolved oxygen, Neptune can do it...the probe is $499 and the module is $95, IMO doesn't make sense, and I don't know what you would do with the info anyway.

reggie

FYI for disolved oxygen, Neptune can do it...the probe is $499 and the module is $95, IMO doesn't make sense, and I don't know what you would do with the info anyway.

To be honest Steve I have no clue but since I was making a "wish list" I added it.

reggie

Reggie if you don't know this already you're about to learn I'm very partial to GHL ProfiLux controllers and their whole suite of "Tank Management" products. Now with all the above I admit that GHL is totally perfect and has it's drawbacks but from my experience with this (and many other controllers) I find it to be a in league all it's own in many respects. One huge advancement with GHL is the restructure their whole market (globally) to make the GHL more in line with other controllers from a price standpoint which honestly is the most common negative point for ProfiLux.

I hope this all makes sense. I'll be glad to help in any way I can. Like I said no controller is perfect for everyone and the ProfiLux may or may not be right for you. It's entirely possible it's more than what you really need/want in a Tank Controller but I am pretty sure there isn't anything you want (or ever would want) to control that this unit can't do.

One thing I have come to understand, Allen you are honest about how you feel and I for one am very glad your up front at the beginning. Biased or not the information you have provided is EXACTLY the information I wanted to read. I kind of figured it is going to come down to either the Prifilux or Apex after researching for the last 2-3 months. But having someone state "Easy as pie right out of the box." is a huge endorsement.

Thanks ever so much.

steved13

PREMIUM
To be honest Steve I have no clue but since I was making a "wish list" I added it.

Reggie, I think that came across wrong. I meant, if it was $50, I'd have it myself, but for $600...seems kind of silly they even offer it, and a possible reason if other manufacturers don't offer it. No criticism, of you, at all.

I felt like, at that price it wasn't really worth mentioning, but I wanted to be thorough for you. I also thought maybe someone would know of a use and clue me in.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I went back and fixed a typo in my original post.. I meant to say, GHL is NOT perfect and left the word NOT out of the statement which really made me sound more like a pompous arse than I normally am :)

Last edited:

reggie

@ Allen - Its all cool with me , no offense taken and as a matter of fact I read in the word NOT when you posted it originally.

@ Steve - definitely $600 is too far out there for a single test probe; $50-100 would be reasonable and logical for a hobby.