Aquarium Bowing...Is this a problem?

CMG

I asked this in my chronicle but thought I would get more attention here:

I know most people on here have larger aquariums and most of those have one or many center supports across the top but I just have a little 40g (which I am content with) however it bows out a little in the middle at the top since it doesnt have a brace. I dont know if I should be concerned with this or if its just normal for the tank to expand like that over time from pressure?

Kensn

Acrylic tanks bow. Is this something new you are experiencing? I would be looking for grazing or small cracks in the tank.

How much of a bow is there??

CMG

Oh sorry, duh. Its glass. Its been bowed for a while now. Doesnt seem to be getting worse. No cracks anywhere or strange noises.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Bowing is also normal with glass tanks. I doubt highly there is a tank out there that has no bow at all. I would not worry about it. Unless you think it is excessive? The longer the tank the greater the bow.

CMG

No its just a regular rectangle tank not a bow front tank. I assumed it was normal since it does not have a brace how could it now do some bowing. I do not feel it is excesive.

Jojo: Dont 90g tanks have at least one brace across the top though?

burning2nd

wow.... you take a strait edge and lay it across the front of a glass tank...

the hole thing should make contact... i would start looking for a new tank..

IMO

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thats not true at all Burning. I won't argue with you. I just want you to show me a picture of a straight edge across your 90 :)

CMG

Good thing too or you might be in the same boat as me and its not very big! haha. I am going to look at it more carefully tonight now that I am getting kind of paranoid. I will look at where the pieces of glass meet and are siliconed and make sure they are still lined up flush with each other. I just always thought it was normal since I didnt have a brace.

burning2nd

wow.... thats scary... Im gonna check mine... I dont think mine will but maybe it has to do something with the large length....

your talking about 1/2" glass?

jaubuchon

My 29gal glass tank bows about 3/16". I used to have a 30 long and it also bowed. I wouldn't be too concerned. Glass is a super cooled liquid... Actual can bend and even flow over time. Most larger tanks have cross supports on the top to avoid this.