Aqua Forest Suppliment and Feeding

Erik Stenberg

Any of you using Aqua Forest products? I picked up a small Xenia Frag the other day and the LFS recommended AF Build, AF Vitality and AF Energy. The Simple directions state to use with the lights off. Do any of you know if it's ok to do this with the Moonlights on? Or are we talking lights out? How long should the lights be off. Do you turn off your filter for any period of time while supplimenting/ feeding? Should I suppliment all three at once or spread them out a bit. My Biocube turns off the Moonlights around 2 am as I'm always sleeping by then so I'm trying to figure out the smoothest way of this supplementation. I just want to make sure I'm doing this the right way. This lil Xenia is my first coral and I just ordered Steves Led Retrofit LED setup so I'm sure that will make the coral happy. Any info appreciated, thanks

DaveK

... and the LFS recommended AF Build, AF Vitality and AF Energy. ...

Avoid all these expensive additives in a tank your size. You should easily be able to keep up with nutrients and trace elements with normal water changes. Since you don't need them, this kind of makes when to add them moot. If your still going to use them, it really doesn't make too much difference when you add them.

Note that these additives are about $9 each. So you will save $27 by not using them. I should point out that additives are among the most profitable items for a LFS. Just look at how much shelf space is dedicated to them.

Usually the only additives really worth using ate the calcium and alkalinity additives, and only use them if your corals are consuming calcium or alkalinity faster than water changes can supply it.

Be a little careful with the Steves LED retrofit and your xenia. Start the light at a very low level and ramp it up slow. Xenia is not a super high light requirement coral.

Erik Stenberg

Avoid all these expensive additives in a tank your size. You should easily be able to keep up with nutrients and trace elements with normal water changes. Since you don't need them, this kind of makes when to add them moot. If your still going to use them, it really doesn't make too much difference when you add them.

Note that these additives are about $9 each. So you will save $27 by not using them. I should point out that additives are among the most profitable items for a LFS. Just look at how much shelf space is dedicated to them.

Usually the only additives really worth using ate the calcium and alkalinity additives, and only use them if your corals are consuming calcium or alkalinity faster than water changes can supply it.

Be a little careful with the Steves LED retrofit and your xenia. Start the light at a very low level and ramp it up slow. Xenia is not a super high light requirement coral.

I had bought the 3 they recommended when I got the Xenia, so in your opinion, since I have them already the current dose says 1 drop of each every other day, would you suggest due to the size of my tank I just spread these out more like once a week or at all? Thanks for the info I haven't received the kit yet but will definitely start low with the light.

Erik Stenberg

Suggestion for Xenia Placement? I have it on the right side of the tank and bit lower than the middle from top to bottom, opposite of the powerhead. I guess I'm wondering if I should drop it down where it will get partial light instead of full,

DaveK

I still would use the additives. I feel most of them do more harm than good for most tanks. Here is a simple rule on additives. If you can't measure the effect one way or another, don't use the additive.

Xenia is a funny coral. It will either grow all over everything, almost becoming a weed or die off. Sometimes these reasons are not entirely clear.

Initially place it where you like it. You can adjust the light if it's too much.