Aptasia success story!

Reefer85

I saw (and bought) something called aptasia-x at the local Petsmart (believe it or not) and bought it the other day....

After much searching on this board, seems like Joe's Juice got a lot of positive press along with other home remedies like boiling water w/ lemon etc etc.

Well, since I already HAD the aptasia-x I figured what the heck, might as well give it a go, since the one big aptasia I had looked like it had spawned at least one or two little babies right next to it... I had been content to let the little bugger sit there at first but he was slowly killing a patch of zoos in his immediate reach:

You can just make out the little bugger in the lower left here:

IMG_1318_zps3fdeff18.jpg

Anyway, when you squirt the stuff out (it comes with a handy syringe thing and two metal "needle" tubes) it looks like elmers glue and MAN did that thing shrink up fast when I blasted him with it... 24 hours later and NO WHERE TO BE SEEN. It acted like it was trying to "puke up" the stuff, but that didn't last long... (kinda felt bad actually a little bit.) When I kicked the power heads back on, I freaked a little bit since little bits of the stuff went all over the tank, but despite the fish trying to eat some of it, etc... no harm came to any other inhabitants.

Anyway, that sucker is GONE:

2A4F7B52-6A11-4504-BEA8-9B42CCD6D12E-2151-0000018E5F761600_zps0b7ced68.jpg

Just wanted to share since I'm sure with as many threads as there are on here already, there'll be no shortage of new folks wondering about how to get rid of these darn things!!

-Reefer85

jerry26

we bought a biocube and the guy must have scared them all because after i got it set up the rock was riddled with aiptasia. it was everywhere. we bought some aiptasia x and a couple weeks later i cant find any.

Reefer85

#@*$&^%#@*&$^ the *&#@^$*&^#@er is back!!! LOL

I was ecstatic since the zoos were opening back up and everything and then I see the little bugger slowly creeping out of his hole again... much smaller tentacles and didn't look near as happy as in the past....

we'll see what another blast of the aptasia-x does to him....

yankieman

I have had the same success but then after a short period of time instead of having 3 or 4 to kill i had a tank full so i hope your success continues but be prepared,, the best remedy I have found is a peppermint shrimp and me keeps my tank clean ,,

ahg

I was able to get rid of aptasia from all but one of my live rocks. It was extremely porous so was able to survive multiple treatments. That live rock is no longer live -- I finally removed it before the aptasia reinfect my tank.

Reefer85

yeah I have 7 peppermint shrimp (all but 3 are small in size however) and they don't touch him... :(

I couldn't bear to lose those zoos, but I suppose I could take the rock out and chisel that *#&^$ out of his cave :) LOL

mtsully71

Reefer85

What I have done with succes for individuals like what you have is give em a squirt of boiling water...I use a typical syringe, fill it and set the tip right near the head. Depress the plunger as I push the syringe into the aptasia/hole. It doesnt take much :). I have done this right next to corals, with no affects to the coral. I recently just did this last week for a new coral frag that came on a small rock (aptasia was free apparently). Just an idea for ya

GL

Sully

yankieman

yeah I have 7 peppermint shrimp (all but 3 are small in size however) and they don't touch him... :(

I couldn't bear to lose those zoos, but I suppose I could take the rock out and chisel that *#&^$ out of his cave :) LOL

There is several kinds of peppermint shrimp ,, I have one and he eats every Aiptasia in sight , with that said I had one that didnt touch it , it depends on where the peppermints come from ,, liveaquaria.com actually lists "Tank Bred Aiptasia Eating Peppermint Shrimp, Candy Cane
CN-81732, $ 9.99"
Saltwater Aquarium Shrimp for Marine Reef Aquariums: Tank Bred Aiptasia Eating Peppermint Shrimps

Reefer85

yankieman - thanks for the tip - I signed up for an email notify because OF COURSE they are out of stock on those LOL