Aptasia... Oh No!!

ChitownRomeo

So some might recall my rescuing of some blasto frags from a friend. Well I got rid of the algae problem that was harming it. Now I notice that a big aptasia is sticking it's head out of the rock its mounted on. The rock is about a inch and half by a inch and half. I'm out of reef epoxy and don't wanna spend $24.99 on a bottle of aptaisa x for just one. Can I just remove the rock and put some super glue gel where he is to keep it from coming out?

frisbee

If you can remove the rock you might want to use a cigarette lighter and try to burn the Aiptasia off.

Squatch XXL

Remove the rock and blow torch the area of the anemone.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/seaanemoneprofiles/a/Ways-To-Eliminate-Aiptasia-Anemones.htm

Here area few other "diy" solutions if you happen to have a needle laying around. Most Feed stores AND Tractor Supply will sell needles for their livestock, and they work great with ours.

Don't do anything that will blend it up in your system, AND don't be surprised if you see a few more pop up here and there. Attack this monster without reservation as quickly as possible.

mtsully71

Chitown,

Ya the gel would work, What I have a great success with for hitting the occasionally monster with is boiling water in a syringe. Stick the tip in the hole, push and dead baddy.

sacktheqb65

unfortunately, I have a fish (not sure which one) that has a taste for peppermint shrimp, but they will eat it and solve your problem. I would say go ahead and spend the money on aiptasia X though. It works, and in 15 mins its all over with.

blazend

I will second Aiptasia X cause i have used it with great success. If you use it before a water change you can use it in your main display but use very little. It will change the PH in water.

BTW aiptasia X main ingredient is lemon juice. Soooo if you dont have aiptasia X just use lemon juice i have been doing that with success.

Oxylebius

Not sure how close the aip is to your blasto, so if you use the aiptasia x or lemon juice, just be careful that none of it gets on your blasto. both can kill the blasto as well.

ChitownRomeo

So I decided to take the rock out, wait till it retracted in it's hole and covered it with super glue gel then covered it with some reef epoxy. Waited till everything cured and hardened and put the rock back in the tank. So far no signs on him coming back out ;) Thanks everyone!!

frisbee

Good luck with that. Aiptasia can be very durable sometimes. It wouldn't surprise me if two weeks from now it shows up again, only two inches to the left. (lets' hop not)