Anyone use the Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit to cycle their tank?

Leo

Where can I find it. Checked a couple sites. Didn't see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat24601

Fair enough, but the Red Sea product worked as per the instructions.

I highly recommend it :)

I didn't really notice you talking about it in your tank thread. Maybe I missed it.

If you had time, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of a review on it from you as you are only the second person I know of that used it. For example, why did you like it? How long did your tank take to cycle? Did you have any unexpected nuisance algae issues like Roy did?

If you don't have time, that's fine. But, I'd love to learn from your experience. I'm sure someday I'll be cycling another aquarium. :)

ajkdark

Hi,

I followed the instructions to the letter, it took 21 days to cycle the aquarium.

I used two kits as that is what is required for my size aquarium. I thought I would try to use the Red Sea Mature kit, to see if it was a successful way of maturing the aquarium. As I did not use any live rock. Although I did use Caribsea live sand.

I had an initial outbreak of cyano, which ran its course fairly quickly. I expected to see some cyano outbreak.

The aquarium parameters basically tested as per the Red Sea mature kit instructions said they would.

Cheers

Pat24601

Hi,

I followed the instructions to the letter, it took 21 days to cycle the aquarium.

I used two kits as that is what is required for my size aquarium. I thought I would try to use the Red Sea Mature kit, to see if it was a successful way of maturing the aquarium. As I did not use any live rock. Although I did use Caribsea live sand.

I had an initial outbreak of cyano, which ran its course fairly quickly. I expected to see some cyano outbreak.

The aquarium parameters basically tested as per the Red Sea mature kit instructions said they would.

Cheers

Awesome.

TEA

I'm not trying to "take sides" on the product.

Roy is the only one I've really tracked that have used it. My short summary of his experience is that it did likely help his tank cycle faster, but he also had to deal with pain in the rear other issues I never did, such as rampant green hair algae growth. Was that because of the product? I have no idea as certainly he's not the first reefer to get a lot of GHA. One person is too small a sample size to make a real decision on the product.

That said, until I see more people using it without issues, I'd probably stick with the tried and true. But, I also don't like to dose unless I know (or believe I know) the positives outweigh the negatives.

The bottom line, though, is in the long run you'll be fine either way. Just a matter of the path to get there.

BTW, Roys videos are absolutely a key reason I bought the Red Sea C-250. They are very good and very instructional. I'm basically very "pro" Red Sea as a company, just a bit skeptical on this product until I see more. If you use it, I'll follow your thread and you'll be example number 2 for me. :)
I too watched all of Roy's videos. And yep, they also helped me on my path of decision making to get the C-250.

TEA

I will say too that I did not use the product in question on this post but that's simply a matter of not knowing how in the world to get it. I made an assumption (you know what that does) that this "kit/program" came in the box with the aquarium. Yup, I was wrong. LOL

BryanCLS

Hi,

Cheers

Hi? I see that this post was 2 years ago, I am just curious what happened after the cyano outbreak? I have the same livesand and a dry rock.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi BryanCLS The Reef Mature cycle time is based on using live rock, check your No3 and Po4 levels, they should ideally be balanced, somewhere in the region of .25 & 0.02 No3 and Po4 to 1 to 2 & 0.1 No3 and Po4.
Also, if using LED we recommend not using Red and Green channels.

You may be short of certain strains of bacteria ( PHA & PHB) these would usually be found in the live rock, as you stock with more animals these strains will turn up and help balance the N to P ratio which will help with the Cyano.

BryanCLS

You're right! Is this the reason why Im getting a cloudy water now? I put in 2 clownfishes and the cloudiness is frustrating. Ammonia. 0
Nitrate: 0 on my test kit but LFS saw some which they suspect why Im getting a cloudy water due to the bacteria.
Nitrate: 5 but my lfs got 20

About the PHA n PHB bacteria does the RedSea bottle has it? How can I introduce it to my tank?
Thanks for the reply Redseakev

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Ok, Cloudiness in your water Column is a bacterial bloom, this is likely caused by poor skimming or over dosing No3Po4-X, a little confused here by your test results. Ammonia 0, you say Nitrate I suspect you mean Nitrite ?? 0 this is where you should be, Nitrate 5 your local Fish Store 20 on this is the one that you need to be absolutely sure of when dosing No3Po4-X, time to consider a highly accurate test kit, the Red Sea MCP or better still Pro kit https://www.redseafish.com/reef-care-program/algae-management-program/algae-control-test-kit/ once you have an accurate No3 test result you can then adjust your No3Po4-X dosage. As for PHA & PHB cultures, no, these will come naturally from any animal with a rock on it, the bacterial species are very difficult to store, as such we can't provide them in a kit.

BryanCLS

yeah, I mean Nitrite. ;)

I am still figuring out how to dial my skimmer (ReefOcto SSS110) and now I turned it off since the fish that I got 3 days ago got an "Ich" the next day so Im treating the whole tank, also I think I got the right dosage of NoPOx at 4.5mL on my 43gallon tank per day( correct me if Im wrong). By the way, my LFS (other LFS where I didnt get the fish with Ich) told me to add more bacteria to help my other bacteria to convert the Nitrite to Nitrate for the cloudiness to disappear and looks like they are right about it, I added 10mL more yesterday and this is what it became as I woke up

This was yesterday:
cloudyyesterday.jpg
and this is the current one, a much better clarity.
clearer today.jpg

Do you recommend me getting a piece of live rock to help me get that other bacteria?

as for the test kit, I will be checking that out since I really think I need a new test kit for this.

Hey thanks again for your reply RedSeaKev!

Muddrinker

Hi i know this is a old post but i was hoping to find out at day 14 what fish did you add to the tank i was thinking foxface 2 in total or holding out on them and going with clown fish