Anyone use Bayer as coral dip?

chadzx10

Went to my lfs to buy Coral RX and saw him dipping his frags in this solution before putting them in frag tanks so of course I asked, he says he uses that instead of coral RX. Add just a little to your saltwater container just enough to make it cloudy and dip as normal.
f786def0c2d811e14a767225cc6fadfe.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

StirCrayzy

Yes Bayer Adv works great, I use enough to make milky water, not just cloudy. Get a good rinse container too, don't want that stuff in your tank for sure.

chipmunkofdoom2

Another option is Melafix or Melafix Marine. Melafix is an alternative to Coral RX as they're both based on the same ingredients. Both Coral RX and Melafix use some derivative of tea tree oil as their main ingredients. The MSDS for both products roughly confirms this. That appears to be the only real difference between Melafix and Coral RX. Just about any store that sells freshwater fish will sell some version of it. Heck, my Walmart even has a tiny expensive bottle. Here's a Reef Central (offsite) thread about Melafix.

But to answer your original question, Bayer is definitely a popular coral dip and is definitely safe. Just don't get it in your DT.