Anyone tried Hikari Arcadia bulbs?

Cassette87

Well it's that time again to replace my PC bulbs, and I'm about to click order on these bulbs.. but figured it'd be smart to see if there's any opinions out there. I liked the fact that their daylight claims 14k.. something I haven't seen in any other PC bulb. Too good to be true? i've been pleased with the current 420/420 combo actinic.. so i'm not sure if i should mix and match or just try the Hikari Arcadia's. Here's the link, Aquarium Lighting: Hikari Arcadia Compact Fluorescent Straight Pin Bulbs
Thanks guys!

Another alternative... instead of spending ~$70 on bulbs again anyone feel I'd be better off getting something such as : VHO 30" 380W Metal Halide Reef light Aquarium Lighting - eBay (item 160248468911 end time Jun-13-08 12:30:57 PDT)

lcstorc

It would all depend on what you want to keep. I would only get MH if you are going to have some of the high light animals like anemones, clams, or SPS. If not then you don't need to spend the money. With MH comes a lot of heat and even more expensive bulbs.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello Andy! Long time no seeeeeee :wave:

Honestly I'd skip the MH's and go 100% T5 if I were doing it over again! I'm DONE with MH's once this fixture dies for whatever reason. It just doesn't make sense to spend more on bulbs than on the fixture etc. With T5s I have so much more choices and it doesn't break the bank to re-bulb!

good luck buddy!

lcstorc

Al you need to go all the way and get Solaris for your next light. Then you can play with colors all the time very easily. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Al you need to go all the way and get Solaris for your next light. Then you can play with colors all the time very easily. :)

Oh there is NO doubt that's what my next tank will be. I'll save up the $$$ and go BIG on it. No more MH's in BigAl's future! But if it's just down to MH's or T5's then it's 100% T5's. Hope that makes sense :)

Cassette87

Well, I just decided to go ahead with my order on these bulbs.. as every other alternative fixture is quite a big leap in $$$, plus i'm still working on the LED system, so hopefully that will replace/supplement my current lights :) I'll have a review for these bulbs when they arrive

NormanB

Well, I just decided to go ahead with my order on these bulbs.. as every other alternative fixture is quite a big leap in $$$, plus i'm still working on the LED system, so hopefully that will replace/supplement my current lights :) I'll have a review for these bulbs when they arrive

So, did you get the bulbs and install them? I'm considering them too and wanted to hear what you think.

Thanks