Anyone micro bubble scrubbing?

ReefDudes

So I know the nano scrubbing thing was a craze last summer however I finally started to try it have been micro bubble scrubbing for about 6 weeks now and am curious to hear the experience of others who are using this method

DaveK

I honestly can't see where this is going to do anything at all, other than make more of a mess from salt splash.

We've been trying to get micro bubbles out of our display tanks for years. Had this really made a difference, eliminating the micro bubbles would have made an improvement.

Also your using wood airstones. These rot out quickly in SW. You could also get ceramic airstones that produce very small bubbles, but they require a large amount of pressure to run and will clog.

You are quite correct about one thing, the aquarium hobby goes through fads. Things that actually make a serious improvement usually become standard methods. Ones that don't fade away. Perhaps I'll start a thread on aquarium fads.

ReefDudes

Haha you should!

I figured it was worth a go for the Ph boost and it does give a bit of a boost so that never hurts. As for the rest of it my corals look happy. I don't see any negatives to it so I'm keeping it on reverse light cycle. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

I'm rather surprised that you find your getting a pH boost. Considering how your video shows your using a sump, it would seem unlikely that you could degas any more CO2.

cracker

1st off it can't hurt & have a small benefit 2nd I'm surprised because usually these fads are trying to sell You something. .

DaveK

This isn't going to hurt anything as fare as the livestock goes. That's certainly the case. However, it does hurt the reef keeper if they go out about buy something because it's a fad and it doesn't work. They will have spent money that could have been better spent on something else.

As for "... I'm surprised because usually these fads are trying to sell You something ..." This is often the case, but not always. Just an example, consider the Jaubert Plenum under the substrata. Easily made out of egg crate and plastic window screen. Some considered it to be the last word in nitrate control. Others demonstrated that it really didn't much at all. Nowadays, almost no one uses a one.

ReefDudes

This fad only cost about $6 for the wooden airstone so I figured it was worth a try, I did end up buying a smaller quiet air pump so I guess I'm into it for $30 all in. The biggest 'proof' I see is having the extra surface film appear after using it coupled with the filter socks get clogged quicker. To me that's showing benefit as it's removing more of the nasties from my tank.

Now my corals are looking great the the past month.. I also started dosing Red Sea Coral Colors a few weeks ago so I can't say 100% which one is the magic of if it's the special blend of the two but either way my tank seems much happier lately!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk