Anyone know what size PVC Reef Octopus uses?

Ratpack

I have a Reef Octopus skimmer that you adjust the water level by turning the standpipe. I would rather add a gate valve for a little better control, but cannot figure out the size. It is gray, so I thought schedule 80, but a standard 1 1/2" schedule 40 fitting will not work. Does schedule 80 have a different size for 1 1/2"? It looks close to the schedule 40 fitting just just a bit bigger so it won't fit.

sirrealism

Opps sorry that might not be right. HMMMM I will do some more checking around about this. I have 2 Reef octos I would like to do this to. Might want to contact reef octo direct

Steve L

As I recall everything they manufacture is metric and made in China. Good products but I don't believe you can fix or alter it with off the shelf PCV from the US.

Ratpack

Actually I was able to get it done. I took one of the extra standpipes and used a dremel sanding wheel to sand it down a little all the way around. Then did the same to the inside of a standard schedule 40 elbow. Then with a little pressure the two went together with a very nice press fit. Now all I have to do is wait on the gate valve to arrive and the skimmer is converted to schedule 40.

Of course that now removes the stand pipe that adjusts the flow, so when the new valve is installed. I have to remount the air intake since they attached it to the stand pipe. Anyone done that?