Anyone is Giesemann Aurora?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I’m looking to see if anyone has thoughts on the giesemann Aurora? Looking to light my peninsula with it and I see mixed reviews online but a consistently high price tag lol.

would welcome any thoughts!

DaveK

I'm assuming your talking about the Aurora hybird lighting fixture. I can't really see any good reason to purchase one in this day and age. Way back when LED lighting has some big gaps in the spectrum, and many fixtures only has white and blue LEDs. Adding actinc blue T5s made some sense. Today with fixtures available that cover the spectrum and are fully adjustable, there is no longer any need for T5 actinics. The other think I'm not crazy about is that the fixture is very big and bulky and also very expensive.

Now it's really hard to get away from "expensive" especially since your setting up a peninsula tank. Obviously when you do that the system is going to be in full view on 3 sides, and a major design element in in at least two areas.

If this were my system, I'd be looking at the EcoTech Marine Radion fixtures or the AI Hydras. Both manufacturers make several variations of these fixtures. The higher end versions offer more light and some have more blue and violet LEDs, so you can really ramp up that part of the spectrum. Of course other brands are good also. It comes down to what you rant to pay, and wnat you want out of the fixture and the manufacturer.

Personally I prefer tanks to have amount of blue in them, but don't like systems where it looks like it's all blue light, giving the tank a very artificial look.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Thanks Dave,
I have decided against the Aurora and instead I’ll be putting 3 Radion pros in the aquatic life DX18. This way I have a fixture that looks nice and sleek with the option of t5.

To your point of leds not needing t5 anymore, I agree that they can now provide a full spectrum but they still shade and are point light. Having the T5 option here let’s me fill in that gap and the DX18 is dimmable.
Getting excited!

Nobbygas

Giesemann have a reputation for good quality. Back in the days of Halides they were the best you could get. They have lost their way in the last few years, especially with LED's. My LFS bought about thirty of their light units for their shop, and were amazed to find they had to set the light schedule on each individual light unit. The Master/Slave concept hasn't reach Giesemann yet!