Anybody using/used fiberglass rods for rockscaping?

hinton27

I was reading Reef Aquarium Volume 3 and they mentioned using fiberglass grating, but that it would delaminate over time. Is this true also for the fiberglass rods some are using to rockscape? I got them from Lowe's. One's yellow and one's orange. They're the one's used for driveway marking.

hinton27

I was gonna use acrylic and still may, but in the aquascaping article on tcmas.org it said that fiberglass was stronger. As usual, stuck.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't think it makes a BIG difference either way unless you're relying on the rod to "Suspend" your structure without other support. If that IS the case then I would do some serious "Dry Testing" and then go OVER-Kill on this one.

I'd be careful with the "Colored" rods because who knows what will happen to them over time in a Salt Water environment. I tend to prefer the clear acrylic rods that you can get in ANY size and very cheap from several online vendors.

Good luck and we need pics :)

mps9506

I have no idea about the strength of the fiberglass rods. Witht he acrylic rods what I learned is you need to use short lengths to jigsaw the rocks together. Total PITA when I helped my buddy aquascape his 210 with it. When we used longer peices that went all the way through the rock the rods would bow to much. Multiple shorter pieces did fine though.
Then lifting rock structures into the tank was a PITA as well. I'm only 5'9"ish...my short arms can't reach the bottom of those big tanks :D

I would recommend at least 1" diameter acrylic rod if not thicker.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I see no harm in using the fiberglass rods. They are not going to delaminate because they are a solid stranded fiber sticks not laminates. They are most likely stronger then the acrylic rods also. Acrylic will snap when bent where the fiberglass will bend.
As for the color, yellow and orange come from the resins holding the stranded fiber together. I doubt they are dyed but if so I would use the yellow or amber colored ones.

hinton27

Thanks for all the input guys. I wanted to go the fiberglass route because I can just drive up the road and buy some instead of waiting for the mail. I'm in the process of setting up my tank, and so far, I've had to wait on the mail for 90% of the equipment. I live in Mississippi. The closest LFS is about an hour away and ridiculous expensive. I don't know anyone around who has a reef tank. Thank God for internet. I tried the PVC frame method with very dissatisfied results. If the fiberglass is safe, I'll try that. Pics coming.

Railrider1920

I had mentioned using fiberglass rods to a friend. He told me not to. He said that over time they will come apart. He also said that he has seen this on fiberglass boats that sit in saltwater for a long time. I have no idea if there is anything to that.

I have been thinking about what can be used in place of fiberglass and instead of ordering acrylic rods. What about the body of a bic pen? It's acrylic. It's clear, no dyes coming off of it. The body is relatively thin, but it is fairly strong.

Last edited: