anybody ever use this system for ATO?

chipmunkofdoom2

Though it looks pretty bullet proof, that seems awfully expensive just for an ATO..

This wouldn't be for you if you weren't handy, but you can easily make an ATO with cheap parts.. probably for less than $40. It does take some ingenuity to implement, but if you enjoy projects, I think it would be worth it.

reefnut

I know it's pricey but the water container is about the perfect size for what I need it for. I would have to get a custom one made anyway because of the space by my sump. I want it to look very neat and organized, plus you get all the bells and whistles lol. I am mainly looking for a review from someone that has possibly tried one. thks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I really LIKE the looks of it. They sure are PROUD of their containers! The ATO unit itself isn't terribly over-priced but WOW the full system is steep!!

I'll be following this one looking for a review as well :)

tnwillia

JBJ ATO, simple & complete for 99.00 and find a container to fit your needs at Lowes or Walmart.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I have used different ones; the ones at AutoTopoff.com work as well as anything, are well made, and good priced. My unit cost maybe $50.

If its under the sump find a rubbermaid container the right size or a 10g aquarium, or a 5 gal bucket. Heck you can get a custom one made and the ATO for half the price. Too expensive

reefnut

hey BigAL I really like the way it looks too, and it has some really good features + its plug it play. I have quite a bit of coin in the stand and canopy.
thats why I am willing to put more money in to it, cause I want the inside to look as good as the outside. thks guys for all your advice, but I am still looking for someone that's had one or used one.
Anybody?

acroholic

Dave the Tunze osmolators look nice, but pricey without the container.

I use plastic tote box type containers from Lowes, Home Depot, or The Container Store. Only cost about $10.

The ATO reservoir is seconday to making sure you like the equipment the ATO is composed of. The reservoir is only a plastic box anyways.

Having a pre-made reservoir like what you are looking at also sets up limitations as to what you can do regarding palcement, etc, whereas an ATO where you provide your own reservoir gives you more placement options.

The Tunze uses an infrared eye level sensor. Unique in the ATO market. Only one in the world like it. Ultra accurate, and Tunze has some of the best Customer Service in the world. I've met Roger Vitko, owner of Tunze USA at MACNA '08. Great guy.

There are many good ATOs out there, but the Osmolator is unique.
Dave

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Haven't used it, but the controller unit alone looks nice, and a lot cheaper than my Tunze ATO. The complete system packages are really overpriced IMO.

Reefin

I use a JBJ ATO system with my own container i picked up from wal-mart the system is around $90 on ebay and stuff you just a small pump i use a toms aqua lifter it was $14.99 @LFS and the container $6 lil over a $100 and i have an ATO system that I'm more than happy with and for that kind of money your almost halfway to the price of reefkeeper elite wich u can just ad a float switch to and not to mention the countless thing you can do with a reefkeeper IMO i love my JBJ ATO but will be saving for a reefkeeper only way i will replace the JBJ

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
A basic ReefKeeper Elite starts at $400. ReefKeeper Lite basic is $100. Then start adding other modules and the price climbs!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
A basic ReefKeeper Elite starts at $400. ReefKeeper Lite basic is $100. Then start adding other modules and the price climbs!

Exactly. Controllers are SWEET as can be (if you like that.. which I do) but they are very costly. I've got the AC Jr. (bottom of the line) and I've got $300+ in it.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Allen - I have a ReefKeeper Lite on the way to me. I got the L3 setup with the extra modules for a pH probe/controller and extra 4 outlets (for 8 total). I started out just getting the $99.99 Lite as a temperature controller and then the reef addiction got the best of me, and I ended up almost 3X that amount.