Any RSM tanks using FULL Red Sea products Only?

salty23

I am in the process of setting up my new tank and I've been browsing the forums on some choices on things to run, however I don't see many examples of any RSM tanks using strictly using Red Sea Products only?
What I mean is..... a RSM tank using NoPoX, Reef Energy, Coral Colors, etc.

While I do see a lot of people either add Bio pellets or GFO or Carbon/ Dose KZ additives , however Red Sea offers products which should eliminate the need for many of these things?
If anyone does have some examples or threads that they would like to share please do so. I'd really like to use the full line of Red Sea products, however I just need to see some success stories.

Thanks!

Wolffman64

I used to use the whole suite for my old RSM250 (nopox, reef energy, foundations a-c and colour a-d) when I only had LPS and softies (with good results, as you can see from some pics in the beginning of my 500 thread), but I have left nopox and are now using a bio pellet reactor in my new RSM500, since it was easier now that I mainly have SPS.

salty23

wolffman: thanks for the reply! I am mainly going SPS as well however I'll have some softies on the sandbed. What is the main reason why you have switched to BP? Just because it doesn't need to be changed as often as dosing?
Do you run GFO? Thank you!

Wolffman64

wolffman: thanks for the reply! I am mainly going SPS as well however I'll have some softies on the sandbed. What is the main reason why you have switched to BP? Just because it doesn't need to be changed as often as dosing?
Do you run GFO? Thank you!

Main reason was ease of use, but also cheaper in the long run, as recommended by my LFS. GFO? (excuse my ignorance..)

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Granular Ferric Oxide (GFO) removes phosphate from the aquarium and is one of the most commonly used filtration medias used in the aquarium industry. GFO is one of the few ways to easily maintain ultra low phosphate on a consistent basis. Maintaining these ultra low levels will help prevent algae outbreaks as well as treat existing algae issues. Your aquariums glass will also stay clear and free of the green hue significantly longer. GFO is most commonly used in a media reactor like the BRS reactor or media bag.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-bulk-gfo-granular-ferric-oxide.html

LakeLivin

I strongly recommend the GFO from BRS... I was having to clean my glass multiple times a day because the green powder algae was growing like crazy on it. I would literally clean it and within an hour or two it was already growing on the glass again. I put a cup of GFO in my little fishies reactor and literally within 24 hours the algae was gone.

Wolffman64

I strongly recommend the GFO from BRS... I was having to clean my glass multiple times a day because the green powder algae was growing like crazy on it. I would literally clean it and within an hour or two it was already growing on the glass again. I put a cup of GFO in my little fishies reactor and literally within 24 hours the algae was gone.

OK, sounds good since that is currently a problem in my tank. I have no algae issues anywhere else in the tank, apart from that I have to clean the glass at least once a day.

I did think that the Bio-pellets were supposed to help with both Nitrate and Phosphate, so should you really run both biopellets and GFO at the same time?

LakeLivin

OK, sounds good since that is currently a problem in my tank. I have no algae issues anywhere else in the tank, apart from that I have to clean the glass at least once a day.

I did think that the Bio-pellets were supposed to help with both Nitrate and Phosphate, so should you really run both biopellets and GFO at the same time?

I'm running 2 little fishies 150 reactors. One with carbon and the other with GFO and I have not had any issues with algae since adding the GFO to the second reactor. Of course you still will see some, but certainly no blooms or anything the CUC can't take care of it and the glass only needs to be cleaned about every other day and it's more of a white film on the glass that I'm seeing after not cleaning the glass for a couple days. Now that I see the GFO is working I will go back to running the magnet cleaner once a day because I like to keep the glass clean and a quick swipe around the tank only takes about 2 minutes.

I added a few more frags and 2 female anthias and 1 male anthias to the tank within the last couple of weeks. So now I have 5 fish total, a full CUC and all the frags I'm going to have for at least a couple more months. Once the tank matures a little more and stays stable I'm going to look for larger more mature corals to add to the tank. Most of the frags take too long to grow for my taste. For a tank less than 3 months old I would say she has been doing pretty well with the equipment I have setup. A good dependable skimmer is the last piece. Still may have to add a chiller when summer returns, but for now the tank stays pretty constant at 78-79F

The new skimmer shipped so I should have it on Friday. I turned off the stock skimmer a couple days ago and stopped skimming until I setup the new one. The tank is doing great and everything seems to be alive and healthy.

salty23

Hey guys , thanks for replying to what GFO meant haha but no one replied to my Topic or stayed on Topic :(

I am currently running GFO and BP on my RSM250 with good results, po3 is almost at 0 all the time and my po4 is never higher then 0.03.

However this is why I was wondering if it is worth switching to no3po4x and running the FULL red sea line.... need success stories and examples please! Thanks

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
However this is why I was wondering if it is worth switching to no3po4x and running the FULL red sea line.... need success stories and examples please! Thanks

I am not using any of it, hopefully others will chime in that are.

LakeLivin

I don't use the other products either but my advice is if you are satisfied with the success you have achieved as you said I would not change anything.