Any electricians that can help please??

DaveK

Most ballasts have a wiring diagram right on it on in the box it came in. That's usually easy enough to follow for most installations.

What ballast are you trying to install? What are you trying to do with it?

I think it's not guna work but basically I bought a ballast to replace a red sea max 250 one. But my new ballast only has 6 output pins whereas the rsm has 7 pins. I have another thread titled ballast compatability which has photos of the 2 ballast wiring diagrams I was wondering if maybe I could cut the 2 outside output wire and join the middle wire to them. If that makes any sense. If you could have a look for me it would be much appreciated. Cheers

SubRosa

You need to read the diagrams and see what each pin does. Odds are the difference in the number of pins is because of a shared ground on the new ballast, as opposed to two discrete grounds on the OE ballast. But look to be sure!

Thanks for your help ill look into it. Didn't get a diagram with the ballast but may be able to find one online. Cheers

You need to read the diagrams and see what each pin does. Odds are the difference in the number of pins is because of a shared ground on the new ballast, as opposed to two discrete grounds on the OE ballast. But look to be sure!

On the rsm diagram it says that the middle pin is a common connection between the 2 lamps it runs. Just need 2 work out how to add common connection to the new ballast.

It's the middle pin that is missing on the new ballast

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-09-23-23-16.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-09-23-23-16.png
    220.1 KB · Views: 1
As you can see the common connection between the red wires on the red sea max ballast is not on the new ballast. So when I would wire it up I would be left with the middle wire. The tridonic 2x39 wiring diagram doesn't state anything about a common connection!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-09-23-32-49.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-09-23-32-49.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_2016-01-09-23-23-16.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-09-23-23-16.png
    220.1 KB · Views: 3

DaveK

When you get a ballast that shows a different wiring configuration compared with what you have, you change your wiring to match the new ballast. This way you know the new ballast will work. You may need to add or remove wires to make this happen. I have done this several times on other lighting fixtures when I was unable to obtain an exact ballast match.

When you get a ballast that shows a different wiring configuration compared with what you have, you change your wiring to match the new ballast. This way you know the new ballast will work. You may need to add or remove wires to make this happen. I have done this several times on other lighting fixtures when I was unable to obtain an exact ballast match.
Cheers again Dave. All done now until you said that for some reason I was scared of changing the wiring incase I blew my rsm hood up. Lol just removed the continuous spur from the circuit and wired new bsllast in. Only difference now is that on the old ballast if 1 tube wasn't working the other still would. But on the new one if a tube goes both stop. Pretty simple really thanks again.