Anti-Jump Proof

goldenmean

Option B - Using velcro instead of a staple gun, and the 3' long gutter guard panel.

Velcro!
That ingenious!
I am looking into making my 55 jump proof and I have the gutter guard panel but I was not sure how to attach it to the acrylic tank.

jstorey

I bought screen frames from Lowe's and made frames the size of the openings in the top of my acrylic tank and hold them in place on top using velcro. Instead of screening I bought 1/4" mesh pond netting from watergardens.org. It keeps the critters in (I have a blue spot jawfish and several wrasses) and doesn't block the light.

lcstorc

With the addition of my bluespot we had to make the 90g jump proof. This one was actually pretty easy. Since it is a tech tank and has T5 lights in the center of the tank, we simply took two peices of eggcrate and covered them with window screen. Attached it together with zip ties and the tank is covered. The only potential problem I see is if we forget to put the front piece back on after feeding.
Here are a couple of pics of what we did.

2008-03-31037.jpg

2008-03-31038.jpg

2008-03-31039.jpg

golf8hdcp

s o the eggcrate covered with screen doesnt go under the lights? That would diffuse too much of the light wouldnt it?

lcstorc

Yes, though in that tank I would do it anyway since it is not a reef and the lighting is not really important.
Actually, at this point the egg-crate has been removed and the screen is attached to the rim of the tank and the side of the light directly with velcro. It just looks a bit neater as well as helping to prevent any possibility of forgetting to put the cover back.
Many people who have to put something under thier lights use several layers of bird netting in a window screen. It is lighter and allows more light through.

golf8hdcp

isnt there a thread somewhere here that shows that and I think they were talking about tulle? :help:

Last edited:

Rhodes19

Well, time to go to Lowes and get some screening. Just found one of my occellaris' on the floor behind my 29g. :( He didn't need much room but he found it.

Rhodes19

I'm going to do that for my 180 once I get it up and running. I want to make a canopy for it and when I do, I'll make sure the back is screened in.

Rhodes19

Sara,

Do you think those screens work well on keeping my Frankie fish in the tank. He keeps trying to jump out and I have to keep putting him back in. Do you think they will keep him safe? Thanks.

Frankieescaping.jpg

:bluenod:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
LOL!

Sara,

Do you think those screens work well on keeping my Frankie fish in the tank. He keeps trying to jump out and I have to keep putting him back in. Do you think they will keep him safe? Thanks.

Frankieescaping.jpg

:bluenod:

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
I also HATE having to remove and then replace the screen each time I feed or mess with the tank

This is the reason I don't have anything over my reef pool. And without a cover I can't keep sand sifting gobies in, who normally keep the sand snow white. The reef pool has a large open area, and one day I'll have to figure an easy way to cover all that space. Or not.