Anti-Jump Proof

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Hopefully this thread will be of help to all the fish out there thinking of carpet surfing!

My wooden canopy is now anti-jump proof and this is how I did it...

Tools needed: staple gun, scissors, gutter guard, zip ties
FishProofingtools001.jpg

Rear view of canopy
JumpProof001.jpg

Overflows
JumpProof002.jpg

Fishes view ;)
20070304-finishedcanopy.jpg

bluespotjawfish

That is too weird - I had the same thought this week on mine (except since I don't have a staple gun, my thought process hadn't figured out how to attach it yet). I am so much slower! Another project made to look easy by Woody! You should set up a DIY aquarium shop!

lcstorc

So basically you sewed the strips together with zip ties? I think I need to do this before I get my bluespot.

lcstorc

I would have to do mine differently. My tank has a glass brace covering the center 1/3 of the tank. We have lost several fish when they jump onto the glass. I now have eggcrate covering the other 2/3 of the tank. I would probably put this either on top of or instead of the eggcrate. I could build 2 simple light frames and put this in them. I wish it was wider, but I could stitch it together with zip ties easily. Then I could also make some doors for feeding etc or remove the frames entirely to get in the tank better. Actually I am starting to like this idea now that I am thinking it out.
Sorry for the thinking out loud. LOL

bluespotjawfish

Ok, need more information on the bottom part of this. From the pic it looks like you have it stapled, correct? Stapled to what?

lgerold

Hi!

I put eggcrate over the tank. It has reduced the light. I also HATE having to remove and then replace the screen each time I feed or mess with the tank. At 5'2", I can barely see over the top of the tank, on my tippy toes to replace the screen.

Hmm. Maybe I'll use your idea Doni!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
The only thing I used the zip ties for was to attach the gutter gaurd to the overflows. On the back of the canopy, I cut the gutter gaurd to fit the open areas between the wood and then staples them in place.

I am thrilled that this gives you guys ideas! :dance:

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I've been planning on doing that once I get my canopy... if I ever get it that is... :D It would help if I ordered it, lol.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I don't have any wood at the bottom of the canopy to staple it to.

Do you have wood at the top or sides? you only need to staple enough of it to keep it from falling off.

Look closely at the "rear" pic. On the bottom section of screen, I only stapled it on the sides and cut it so it would overlap the tank frame a tad.
See it?

JumpProof001.jpg

bluespotjawfish

Option B - Using velcro instead of a staple gun, and the 3' long gutter guard panel.

TOTAL COST - LESS THAN 4 BUCKS!

Attachments

• Gutter Guard.JPG
    Gutter Guard.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 183
  • Gutter Guard 2.JPG
    Gutter Guard 2.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 183