Anthius

pgrtgunner

Has anyone had Bartlett Anthius spawn?? Both male and females are fanning the eggs. Now what?
The internet only says; It's almost impossible for the fry to survive.

Oxylebius

Oh how exciting! Perhaps it would be similar to raising clownfish eggs, who also lay eggs and fan them. You should be able to find more on raising clownfish eggs both on the web and on the forum, if you do a forum search (found this:http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/livestock-breeding/32474-rearing-picasso-percula-clownfish.html). What I know is limited to what is online, no personal experience, but for advice, wait until the eggs hatch before collecting the baby fish b/c the fanning that the fish are doing to the eggs is very important to keeping the eggs alive at this point. If you take the eggs out and place them in another tank right now, w/o the fanning the eggs will die. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

pgrtgunner

Thanx for your reply Oxylebius. How/ where do clowns spawn??

When I raised Cichlids for many years back in the late 70's to the early 90's, When I saw the mom
with a full pouch of eggs, I would get her out fast before she swallowed the eggs. I would mike her of the eggs
and put them in a 10gal tank with 2 air stones going. When they consumed their egg sack, I started feeding them Brine Shrimp
that I raised in a gallon jug until they were big enough to transfer to a 20gal tank with crushed coral and a few rocks for hiding.

But with SW they lay their eggs under a ledge of a rock. This rock is too big to take from my tank, so I'll wait to see what happens
with the fry. They will spawn again, I hope.

Last edited:

Oxylebius

Clowns lay eggs on hard surfaces. Most people will collect the fry right when they are hatching (killing the powerheads/pumps in the tank). Most fry will go toward a light source, keep tank dark and use a flashlight, collect the fry and rear the fry in a separate tank. You could collect the fry of anthias the same way. See how it goes. The key is timing and I'm not sure how long it takes for anthias eggs to hatch. If you want to attempt this, you'd have a lot of research to do.

DaveK

Most SW fry go through a period of time where they must feed on very fine plankton. Take a look at the previous mentioned threads for information on setting up cultures for that.

Your really too late to start antthing for this batch of eggs, but you might have a chance with the next batch.