Another disaster....flood free sump?

reefle

So yesterday I found my BTA dead and completely oozed to poop. Worst smelling thing EVER.

Anyways, I had to do several emergency water changes and for some reason my little sump decided to also mess up and flood a huge part of my floor. Had to tear up the carpet to dry everything and I figured at that point I'm just gonna discontinue the biocube sump and set up the 20 gallon one for my 46 DT.

My question is how can I make this one virtually flood free? I'm using an Eshopps overflow box as well.

I had an idea but I dont know how viable it is. Basically a couple things.

1. set the overflow box higher on the tank so only about 1.5-2 inches of water can make it over so that would be the most that can escape in case the return pump fails.
2. set the return pump 1.5-2 inches beneath the top of the waterline in the sump. This way, in case my siphon gets stuck or stops working for some reason the most that can go back into the DT is those 1.5-2 inches of water.
3. In the DT leave about 2.5-5% of space from waterline and top of rim. In the Sump, leave about 15-20% empty.
4. set up 4 pillars around the sump with a double trash bag wrapped underneath and around that can be moved up or down depending on the situation to catch water.

I'll take pics to show what I mean, but if anyone has criticisms or other suggestions those would be greatly appreciated!

AquaFXdotnet

RS Sponsor
If your sump is overflowing and you have the HOB set at the right height in your tank then it may be that your sump is not large enough. Generally if your sump pump malfunctions, there should be enough water fill space for the tank to drain to the HOB limit and not overflow your sump. this is a common mistake I do see people make is oh my sump needs to be full, that's incorrect and will cause flooding if you have an issue. There is a Max and a Min.

My suggestion is to fill your tank till its just at the HOB intake level. fill your sump to the safest full you feel. then switch it on. where that water level balances at.. that's your MAX water in there, if you fill past that line and the sump stops it will over flow.

Hope that makes sense.

I'm just getting back into the reef business after a long time away. I'm not sure exactly how the overflow box works but I have a fair idea. Those who are currently keeping tanks will know best but what about a second box incase one becomes clogged? It would also increase the skimming efficiency.

I feel for ya! I had a skimmer go bonkers on a brand new 2 week old carpet and pad to the tune of about 40 gallons. :/

*** EDIT ***
The larger sump also came to mind but I forgot to mention it. I'm glad AquaFXdotnet covered that for ya! ;)

kyle4201

If your sump is overflowing and you have the HOB set at the right height in your tank then it may be that your sump is not large enough. Generally if your sump pump malfunctions, there should be enough water fill space for the tank to drain to the HOB limit and not overflow your sump. this is a common mistake I do see people make is oh my sump needs to be full, that's incorrect and will cause flooding if you have an issue. There is a Max and a Min.

My suggestion is to fill your tank till its just at the HOB intake level. fill your sump to the safest full you feel. then switch it on. where that water level balances at.. that's your MAX water in there, if you fill past that line and the sump stops it will over flow.

Hope that makes sense.
Yep, Max and min,,, :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I sure am glad that I no longer have carpet.
A few washer loads of large towels and a shop-vac are easier on the budget :LOL:
I'm also glad that the sump I'm adding is clearly marked with a MAX & MIN line :D

AquaFXdotnet

RS Sponsor
I sure am glad that I no longer have carpet.
A few washer loads of large towels and a shop-vac are easier on the budget :LOL:
I'm also glad that the sump I'm adding is clearly marked with a MAX & MIN line :D

Ok now that im done rolling on the floor laughing, don't feel bad Diana, I found out the hard way myself when I was in St Pete I had a 60, and two 40 Gal Tanks all fed with one Sump and that's when I learned about Max Min and Tank sizes! It was about a 20 Gallon WHOOPS.. that's a ton of water on a flat surface.. I very rapidly learned about Sump size and max n min. from then on I oversized my sumps and ran an inch below max call it paranoia but no more floods :).

What is irritating is the Overflow box tube when that looses pressure I've been looking at a really neat one that includes an auto vacuum that will auto correct if there is an issue its really neat just coming to terms with the sticker price is step 2.

Mike Johnson

There are two ways to control flooding when using a HOB overflow. One is to allow enough space in the sump to hold water that is drained during a power outage. Two, is to have the return section of the sump small enough that the pump will run dry before the tank overflows.

My tank was making a ruckus (the pump was running dry) the other day and the tank was filled so full the water was on top of the frame. If there was 1 more ounce of water it would have overflowed. That's cutting it a little too close. My aqualifter on the overflow quit.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
All great reasons why HOB over-flows stink!

Sorry about the flood, good luck redesigning your setup.

reefle

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips! Will def. account for all of that when I set it up today.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
All great reasons why HOB over-flows stink!

I will have to disagree with this statement. I have been using a lifereef over-flow for years and have never had an issue. The overflow has never failed to restart. Having an flood usually has to do with not having your max and min water levels set correctly and not with the overflow itself (as long as it is a good one like lifereef).

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I will have to disagree with this statement. I have been using a lifereef over-flow for years and have never had an issue. The overflow has never failed to restart. Having an flood usually has to do with not having your max and min water levels set correctly and not with the overflow itself (as long as it is a good one like lifereef).
Thanks Greg...this is good to hear since I have a LifeReef over-flow on the way (or it should be very soon!)
I sure don't want to have a SW flood....RO-Di water was bad enough for 3 rooms worth to make me pay more attention to any precautions anyone has to give.

Mike Johnson

Agree. That aqualifter has been running 24/7 for two years. It was time for a new one. I had a spare which I hooked up in a minute and was back in business. Because I had min/max water levels correct there was no problem.

I keep spares of everything. I've got a brand new return pump and skimmer that have been sitting there for years because I haven't had a need for them, yet.

reefer gladness

Thanks Greg...this is good to hear since I have a LifeReef over-flow on the way (or it should be very soon!)
I sure don't want to have a SW flood....RO-Di water was bad enough for 3 rooms worth to make me pay more attention to any precautions anyone has to give.

Just pray a snail doesn't crawl inside the u-tube while you are away. It can happen, trust me. I used one of these on my RSM tank too and just barely prevented an overflow when a large nerite snail crawled up the u-tube.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Just pray a snail doesn't crawl inside the u-tube while you are away. It can happen, trust me. I used one of these on my RSM tank too and just barely prevented an overflow when a large nerite snail crawled up the u-tube.

and if it did and clogged the u-tube, I have a water level sensor in the rear chamber that will turn off the return pump once the water raised 1/2 inch.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:invisible Yikes, I can see my Stomatella snail doing this as he goes EVERYWHERE. :rollingey
May need to know more about that water level sensor, where to get & how to install. After I get my over-flow & get it figured out. I sense a domino affect AGAIN on spending :grind:

Mike Johnson

One reason that I have two 1" drains - if one gets clogged the other one can handle the flow. Plus it makes it a lot more silent.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
:invisible Yikes, I can see my Stomatella snail doing this as he goes EVERYWHERE. :rollingey
May need to know more about that water level sensor, where to get & how to install. After I get my over-flow & get it figured out. I sense a domino affect AGAIN on spending :grind:

Diana - I have one of these in the rear chamber, right next to the over flow. The return pump is plugged into it. If the water level rises, it moves the float switch and turns off the return pump. Simple stuff but can save a flood!

http://autotopoff.com/products/SS1/

reefle

Can anyone tell me the difference between an Eshopps HOB overflow and a Lifereef HOB overflow is?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I don't know the difference but I do know that Jeff at Lifereef is a great guy, always available to answer questions and builds a quality product. He also claims that none of his overflows has ever failed in 25 years.

http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html