Anenome help

MikeSheridan

Hi,

My anemone has been fine in my tank for over a week now. However this morning I can down to find it shrivelled up can anyone let me know if it's had it ? Or it's dying.

The tank has been going for 6-7 months without issue. Params are normal.

Before

yga7a6eh.jpg

After

ragesabe.jpg

I don't want it to get worse in the tank as it can poison other livestock.

Advise much appreciated

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeSheridan

Nothing bothers it really.
It's mouth was or seemed to be swelling up now it's gone back in but still all the tentacles are retracted and small

Snid

I'm the new guy here, so still learning things myself, but...

Isn't it normal for Anemones to close up at night from time to time?

Also, you mentioned that the parameters are correct, but what about the lighting and feeding? What type of lighting are you providing it? It looks like it is on the move, so maybe seeking more light? What have you been feeding it, and how often?

MikeSheridan

I have 4 T5 lights, I have been feeding it frozen prawns once a week.

It's in a new Red Sea max c130.

MikeSheridan

Update on the anemone he has perked up a little but there is some crap coming out of his mouth any ideas

yvamarug.jpg

Snid

I'm not sure how to help and hopefully an expert will chime in soon, but everything I'm reading suggests that the brown stuff coming out is its own internal Zoax algae. It spits it out when it has more than it needs or it needs a different batch to handle the present conditions. Though I'm also seeing posts on various threads saying that the brown stuff could also just be waste being deposited. How embarrassing for him to have his picture taken with his pants down!

In all seriousness, the waste has to come out somewhere, and the anemone doesn't have a butt. People are like giant tubes, food in one way, waste out another. Anemones are bag-like, same way in and out. For some entertainment and education, go to Youtube and look at some video footage of Anemones pooping. What yours is doing looks trivial compared to what others have done.

Keep a close eye on him and hopefully an expert will chime in to either confirm things or guide you in the right direction. Hopefully he's just roaming to find a nice spot to sit in, closing up for the night as a normal behavior for protection, and pooping.

reefer gladness

BTA's will occasionally pout and shrivel up, they usually bounce right back the next day - but that's a very unhappy looking nem in your second pic. The lighting in the RSM tank is marginal at best to support a nem but that's not what is going on here, I suspect this is related to water quality and something is off.

Confirm you are using RO/DI water, a refractometer to measure salinity, your actual test results for the water and we can see if something is off. Temps need to be stable as well, I have an RSM tank in storage and remember they tend to run hot with the stock lighting, etc. so that's something else to consider.

MikeSheridan

I tests daily and have done for the last few weeks. Just done a test now temp 26.4, sal 1.026, ph 8, ammonia 0.25 nitrite 0 nitrate 0.

I have fitted a temp controller and is never more than 0.5 out.

Steve L

Ammonia is probably where your problem is. Why is there any in a tank that's been set up for several months? Find the source and your nem will thank you.

Jerryr

I have several Anemones in by 75 gallon tank. They seem to do well when they Host clowns.
My Carpet, LTA and Ritteri all at some point look ill but they bounce back within hours. They do not like tanks warmer than 75 deg.
I feed Phytoplanton and small pieces of Silversides put directly into their mouths.
Enjoy them, they are beautiful animals.

LSUFireGal

Could have just been pooping. Especially if you are feeding large pieces of food. I have found mine does better if I feed it smaller pieces a few times a week.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

MikeSheridan

Update is that I removed from tank and donated him to a friend with a larger rock scape. Gives me time to increase my rock scape and mod the lights in the RSM 130. Once all that is done I'll get him back and sure he will be much happier