Anemone eating anemone?

docpat

I joined a new office and the other doctor who owns the saltwater tank was out. I walked by to see one of the new large anemones apparently trying to eat one of the other smaller anemones. After calling the fish guy, he said to try to rescue the little guy by knocking him loose from the large one. Now the little one looks like he oozed some white gooey stuff and looks kind of dead. The larger one totally retracted, but since I figured he was hungry, I fed him a frozen/thawed fish. I heard if they die, they can kill all of the other fish and anemones. Any suggestions?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
First off WELCOME :wave: to RS!

I would watch them both closely and if you see any further "degrading" I would pull it out. The discharge could be a sign of damage or just it expelling yesterday's leftovers.

I'm of the mindset that I don't usually try to "intervene" in the tank and just let things happen.

largo

did he take in the fish? Until the owner gets back try to hide the smaller one in some rockwork or even build a little wall around him or something. What type of anemone's are these? Watch the small one and see if it moves or anything but if it's definately dead take it out

csmsss

It doesn't take long for an anemone to go from looking a bit peaked to shedding mucus and toxins throughout your tank and killing everything within it.

docpat

I have no idea, new to the whole fish thing, but the large one has a pinkish base and long semi thick tenticles tha sort of curl toward the end. The small one was an orangy/ mauve color that looked like a willowy flower with a hairy round center with a dark purple bulby like base. I'm sure that doesn't help. The staff took a picture of the event on her phone but I didn't get a shot of it. I think we would have been better off letting the big one eat the little one. The big one did take the fish and close up tight on it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Are you testing the water? Just keep a close eye on them and if they do start "denigrating" remove whichever or both.

Don't try to move either of them. You're fighting a losing battle and odds are the more you move/touch/stress them the less likely they are to pull through.

Anemone are MOBILE animals and go where-ever they want whenever they want. It's a waste of time to try and move them in the tank. If you move one then move it to another tank.

docpat

My fear is that we will go to work in the morning and all of the fish will be dead. I left the office at 6 and it's 8:45 now. How fast can the water go bad?

docpat

How fast can the water go bad if the Anemone died? My fear is that we will get to work in the morning and all of the fish will be dead.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
docpat no need to panic and double post. There's only so much you can do and odds are nothing will go south THAT quickly. There's not a lot that you can do other than watch and wait. Possibly all your worry is for nothing :)

docpat

Bigal, thanks for the help, not trying to double post, the quickpost doesn't seem to work, sends some sort of error message but then posts when I do a regular post. Not sure why,

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No problem docpat :)

Hang in there. Things happen and all we can do is learn from them as we go.

Odds are it wasn't a good idea to have 2 anemone in the tank especially if they aren't the same type. That's just a guess though.

A.

docpat

Wow, the doc I work with has many more anemones in the same tank. One other fairly large white one, and 3-4 small ones. The newest hungry guy is twice as large as the other large white one. BTW, would an anemone eat a general starfish and a cowfish ~1.5 inches large? We weren't sure if someone ate them or if we had a fish theif as a patient. Do people steal starfish and cowfish? The tank is in the waiting room.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've never heard of a fish being stolen from a tank in that type of establishment but it's not impossible. It's not probably but possible.

I'd say with that many anemone in one tank odds are that's where fish are vanishing to.