Anemone closed up last night shrank to nothing- new clownfish left out to survive

Last night I turned out the lights and then I noticed my anemone who was full and loving the new clownfish was shriveled and was not about to let the new clown bond anymore.

Hence new clown fish trying everything ..hovering over the anemone, rubbing it..and leaning on this shriveled closed up size of a quarter thing.

I kept thinking..oh no.... The original clown may do something to the new one for sure now..because she/ he is in the open and with no protection from the anemone . The original clownfish no interest in this new clown when in the anemone.

I said my prayers and fell asleep. Please Lord when I wake up let their be two still( clowns).

This morning I notice anemone wide open and fluffy. But I can see one clownfish laying at the bottom of the tank. My heart racing..didn't want to loose either( but definitely didn't want to loose the one that took to the anemone.)

Noticed one remaining in the territory where the original always hung. I was like ..shoot shoot shoot..I lost the new one.

Came closer and noticed it was the reddish/ orange one there...and after closer inspection my original clown I have had for 7 months was at the bottom and dead.( so the anemone loving one survived) Iam sure their was obviously a battle in the night. Because the new one is in the same space now as the old one hung and hasn't gone near his anemone .

My question- Iam pretty sure with me adding this new clown my other clown wasn't having it. But I was not prepared for the anemone to lock out the new one. I thought anemone protect as well as clown fish protect anemone.

Will the new clown now just take over the old ones territory and it's been 4 hours and all the new clown is doing is hanging under the rock hasn't gone near the anemone. ??????

Weird too because none of my fish our out swimming...And the lights have been on since 8:00 am.
This is really weird. It's like all the fish are hiding

Blue Space

wow! sounds like the calm after a battle. the one you have left might be recovering too depending on how one-sided the skirmish was. sry you lost your clown. natures way of deciding who's dominant and unfortunately, sometimes it can lead to death. nems will just close up. especially at night, that's normal. :guns::rocket:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sorry for your loss. It's rarely a good idea to introduce a new clownfish into a 38g tank where an existing clownfish is already. They most likely will fight and even in a larger tank there is a possibility of aggression.

I'd sit and just watch from afar and let nature take it's course.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Sorry for your loss. It's rarely a good idea to introduce a new clownfish into a 38g tank where an existing clownfish is already. They most likely will fight and even in a larger tank there is a possibility of aggression.

I'd sit and just watch from afar and let nature take it's course.

Couldn't have responded better dude.

..........I live my life as a warning to others.

Willie McDaries

both of those looked to be about the same size too...IMO,if you can't add both at the same time,it's best to add the 2nd as a much smaller fish...when I purchased my 2 black/white clowns,they weren't paired up and both were very large and came from 2 different tanks,they were always bickering with each other in my tank,finally one decided to go carpet surfing :( a few weeks later I added another,much smaller clown and didn't have any issues from the other clown...I think I had 2 females to start with,I think I now have a pair :D

I was also told by the Lfs that my clown was loney and needed a mate. Bwahahhaha..... And that's all you had to say - so I could rationalize trying another clown so my anenome would host.

More worried now about the new nitrate spike

catran

There shouldn't be much of a spike if you took him out. They're right though, you need to introduce a smaller clown to be successful. Sorry for the loss :(

I love reefers...

Roots

I can't get my Gold band Maroon Clown to accept ANY other clown, just a little smaller than her and a lot smaller than her or close in size, she hates any other Clowns that come into her territory and she hates it when anyone or anything gets too close to her anemone. I may try and introduce another to her in the future when I get a bigger tank and I will introduce them both to the new tank at the same time and hopefully with a new home to adjust to she will accept a mate.

Ohh and all individual Clownfish are born male and mature into females. When pairing occurs the larger more dominant fish will remain female and the smaller fish will change it's sex to male if it is not already a male. That is why it's always better to introduce a smaller clown to an existing clown when trying to pair them. The smaller clown should recognize the size difference and will submit to the larger one and change it's sex if necessary. If they are too close in size they may fight continually since neither fish sees the other as a potential mate and they want to drive the other fish from their territory.

steved13

PREMIUM
Good advice above, I've had pretty good luck adding a much smaller clown than the existing. I didn't see it mentioned but it's always the best to stick with clowns of the same type and not mix them.

Ohh and all individual Clownfish are born female and will remain female until they select a mate. When pairing occurs the larger more dominant fish will remain female and the smaller fish will change it's sex to male. That is why it's always better to introduce a smaller clown to an existing clown when trying to pair them. The smaller clown should recognize the size difference and will submit to the larger one and change it's sex. If they are too close in size they may fight continually since neither fish sees the other as a potential mate and they want to drive the other fish from their territory.

I'm pretty sure this is backwards. Clowns are born immature and sexless, then they turn Male and if they can be dominant within their group they will turn female. Only 1 female to a group the rest are male (or sexless). There is no going back...once male can't go back to sexless, once female can't go back to male.

Roots

Good advice above, I've had pretty good luck adding a much smaller clown than the existing. I didn't see it mentioned but it's always the best to stick with clowns of the same type and not mix them.

I'm pretty sure this is backwards. Clowns are born immature and sexless, then they turn Male and if they can be dominant within their group they will turn female. Only 1 female to a group the rest are male (or sexless). There is no going back...once male can't go back to sexless, once female can't go back to male.
Correct, :dummy: I was mistaken. They are born Male and as they mature they become female. However a male CAN become female if the dominant female is removed from a group.

Thanks all..but if one has been alone for a year..wouldn't that one already be female?

Yesterday watching them..it was like they both did the submissive dance to the other.. And head butts..I tried to separate before I went to bed. But then stayed up for another two hous watching them. It looked as if they were getting along great.

Then the anenome closed up and that was it..the new one could no more hide in the anenome.

Maybe I should try a really small on with this one. In a week or so..

My anenome is all shrank again - just did a water change..

steved13

PREMIUM
Thanks all..but if one has been alone for a year..wouldn't that one already be female?

Not necessarily, from the info I posted above, it could be Male still, but it probably is female. Either way that's why folks are recommending a much smaller addition, if the existing is male, it will turn female, and if it is already female, most likely the new smaller one will be male and hopefully no issues either way.

Willie McDaries

Not necessarily, from the info I posted above, it could be Male still, but it probably is female. Either way that's why folks are recommending a much smaller addition, if the existing is male, it will turn female, and if it is already female, most likely the new smaller one will be male and hopefully no issues either way.

correct again steve...man you're getting good at this stuff ;)