An interesting xenia comment

ScottT1980

I was reading the new issue of FAMA and it has an article that focuses solely on xenia. I know, my first thought was :sleeping: but I read an interesting quote (FWIW, it is page 114-116 and written by Tony Vargas).

Anywho, he says, "When this coral is inhibited of continual growth it will usually crash..."

I have never heard this mentioned by anyone else and it makes me question all those mysterious xenia melts. I mean, most that have xenia have to trim it constantly. Has anyone else heard this before? If not, I would like to see if there is a source to this idea...

Take er easy
Scott T.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Never heard that one b4, but could be true. Is xenia a fairly easy coral, they look cool, and I would possibly want one as my 1st coral.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
"..inhibited of continual growth.." ??

Lack of nutrients? Poor placement in the tank? (Like maybe at the tip of a single rock) Lack of proper lighting?

I wonder what they are referring to....

Well, I must have the right stuff for xenia because mine are flourishing!

jks1

hmm something to think about, mine has doubled in size and is approaching trimming size.

Salty75

While you are on the subject of trimming xenia, what is the recommended method for trimming? I ask because I have some in need of trimming it is taking over almost ¼ of my tank. Don’t get me wrong I love this stuff but enough is enough. :explode:

ReefLady

Staff member
Butcher knife, cuisinart, salad shooter.... with xenia the stalk is gonna come back anyway. LOL :)

My best xenia crowd control to date was a palau green tree coral. I put the xenia next to it and the green tree nuked all 30 stalks of it LOL.

:)

Travis

Witfull

so thats what happened to that frag i got,,,it was 4-5 inches from my green sinularia,,,,but it was down stream too...hmmmm

fidojoe

Fish Addict
What is the minimum type of lighting for xenia? how tolerant are they of nitrates at about 15-20?

ReefLady

Staff member
Well, I had some grow under a single 55W PC in a 29-gallon, but growth was extreeeeemely slow.

Nitrates? Not sure, but wouldn't sweat it.

T

Craig Manoukian

I have over harvested my Xenia and almost lost it. There may be some truth to what the FAMA article is aying in my experience.

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Originally posted by Salty75
While you are on the subject of trimming xenia, what is the recommended method for trimming? I ask because I have some in need of trimming it is taking over almost ¼ of my tank. Don’t get me wrong I love this stuff but enough is enough. :explode:

I recently cut about 7 stalks and attached them to frags. At first I glued them but they'd fall right off but I did have success with using a thick rubber band loosely holding them to a frag. Oh, and the stubs that were left behind are growing dozens of baby xenia on them :D . After 2 - 3 weeks, I traded the new frags at my LFS for store credit!!

I love my xenia too! :)

ScottT1980

Yeah, I love my xenia and it flourishes. I just worry that with my constant trimming, I could have a melting event and because these are so quick, it could potentially take out my entire tank.

For now I will take my chances but it makes me begin to question whether I should just peel it all off the rocks and get my store credit.

Things that make you go hmmm...

It really is an interesting article, check it out next time you are in your LFS.

Take er easy
Scott T.

Scooterman

Well I started off with a little frag, it grew like crazy, I gave some away & some I moved to the other end of the tank. It moves to where it likes to be I guess because where I put it & where it is now is way different, it moved directly in the high water flow. It has been about year now and large portions have died off and now growing back. I don't know what to think about that but I have some out of the high current flow that just keeps getting bigger! GO Figure! Funny this was mention because that is exactly what is going on with my tank!

brian_e

mine is in high water flow at the very bottem of the tank and i have took about 50 nice size frags to the lfs in past few months but i do have a few stalsa melt every few months