am I just panicking? White coloring on new BSJ

bohrio

hey guys

I know this is my first post but I have been reading this forum for a while now, got some good tips here that I have used to acclimate my BSJ to its new tank.

Ok, so long story short, I got my BSJ 2 days ago. He has been pretty social so far and the very first day he had already chosen a spot in the tank and started building his burrow. Yesterday it was his busiest day so far, I had to add lots of rocks and shells as he was running out of them. Later in the evening I noticed that there was some white stuff pouring out of his right gill (or close to his gill). To me it looked like white floss, the same type I use as debris filter in my sump.

I have seen this before with my previous yellowhead (he died during my holidays when my autofeeding accidentally dropped the entire food content in the aquarium). Ok, so I waited and a few minutes later most of the "floss" was gone. There was a little bit left (tiny bit). So I went to bed and in the morning it was gone.

however, I have noticed that in the same area there is a circular white mark (looks like one of those tattoos that you can only see under UV light). And a few hours later his left side was covered (not entirely but to some degree) in a whiteish color. I obviously kind of panicked as I thought it was the famous BSJ disease but when I looked again it was almost gone? see picture, first pic was taken the same evening I put him in the aquarium, second 30 minutes ago and the third 10 minutes ago.

bsjbeforeafter.png

so whats going on? Now I am not sure if it is just acclimatizing or if it is a real disease.

I have been doing a bit of work in the aquarium installing a UV light as well as reorganizing my sump that could have created some stress on the little fella but I dont know If I am just being paranoid or if there is something going on.

I am going to keep an eye on him for the moment and see what happens. I have a quarantine aquarium but I feel that, if the reason he is showing this symptoms is stress moving him wont do any good.

My aquarium

20 gallon + 10 gallon sump (with refugium)
I have a Skimmer and UV sterilizer (installed yesterday)
Use carbon and micromec as well as polyfilter

Ammonia NH3 0.001
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Temp 77 degrees
Salinity 1.025
pH 8.18 atm

I feed him three times a day, from NLS food to live brine shrimp and frozen food (I add garlic and vitamins to the frozen food).

he is eating like a horse and is quite active and sociable (he rarely hides)

He had already been in quarantine but only spent 2 days at the LFS (he was on another LFS before that for a couple of weeks).

here is a video of him

Notice how half way through the white marks (covering both sides of the face) seem to fade away. It could be due to the lighting maybe?

Please tell me I am being paranoid!

[video=youtube;YVsNIGtHai4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVsNIGtHai4[/video]

PS: I have just realized that I can't post links because this is my first post :(

Last edited:

bohrio

Thanks for uploading my pic and for the help... ;)

I will have a look at that link, it has lots of info about diseases, definitively a good link to have

and thank you all for your warm welcome! :)

wscttwolfe

Wow I just got a blue spot jawfish two days ago. Same exact thing happened to me. I called the LFS and he explains that especially when they are new, the excrete a lot of extra mucus. What you are seeing is most likely just sand that has stuck on

bohrio

Hi wscttwolfe

Yeah, I am starting to think I am just panicking. It would make sense as I know that the jawfish was well looked after by the LFS.

It just that I would hate to lose him, so far he is very sociable and not shy at all, he is still a bit suspicious but he has got used to the clowns (no big danger for him there they are tiny) and the skunks... I will keep my eyes open anyway but the fact that it comes and goes could perfectly mean that

Thanks again

PS: How does your algae blenny getting on with the BSJ?

My tank is a bit crowded at the moment (I also have 1 tiny premium snowflake and a platinum percula) but the tank is only 22 inches wide (a bit over 20 gallons)

bohrio

Oh man, sorry to see that I am gutted for you.

I will keep an eye on mine and hope for the best... The white stuff seems to have gone away since I took the picture yesterday, only that funny looking mark remains, same shape, hasn't gotten any bigger. Hhe was swimming around this morning and I checked his body for marks and could see any. Fingers crossed

wscttwolfe

This morning he was just lying on sand bed, barely alive. Ominously, the brittle star was reaching out and laying an arm over his body. The jaw didn't even care. Needless to say, he didn't put up a fight when the net got close...

thedru13

Shame to hear. I find that the BSJF are not easy to care for. I have lost 2 of them to disease with a very healthy tank.

Your tank is pretty small and feeding 3 times a day could cause issue. (just my opinion). Do you have any other livestock in the tank? Also just could be stress. I have a new BSJF in my tank and he can't seem to find a home and his color is a bit off. But appears healthy. My experience with them has been love/hate. Fav fish but I can't seem to keep them for very long..

Again sorry about your guy...

bohrio

Hey there

I give them very little food 3 times a day (during weekends) twice during normal week days (very little in the morning).

But you are right, just in case, I am keeping an eye on ammonia and algae just in case I need to reduce the feeding frequency as I have only recently added him.

The only live stock I have is 2 tiny clowns and 2 cleaners, also 3 hermits and a few snails that only come out at night, oh and a pompom crab but he is like a ninja and only comes out at feeding time. They all hang out on the same part of the tank, I was hoping the jawfish would move to the other side but he hasnt yet... he might in the near future (if he doesnt die first).

The other thing is the elegance, when I bought it it was around 5 inches big but now is almost half the size of the tank. I am hoping that if he is not happy where he is now he might decide to move.

First thing I will do later today is move some of my corals out of the tank into the hospital tank (until I decide what to do with them). There just isnt enough space for them in the tank and I want to give him plenty of options where to dig a burrow.

This is a picture of the tank... the tank looks much dirtier in the picture!

aquariumtotal.png

Its funny how everyone spends time on this side... even the hermits I think is because I spot feed the jawfish.. so they know that wherever he is there is food!

thedru13

Good luck .. Also post up your water parameters.. All your levels okay? Are you using LED lights or T5's or HQI?

bohrio

My water is ok so far

Ammonia NH3 0.0001
Nitrites 0
Nitrates less than 5 ppm
Salinity 1.024
Temp 77 degrees
Mg and Ca is 1360 and 440 respectively
pH 8.21 atm

I have a 4 24 W T5HO, only using 3 of them, 2 actinic (1 KZ superblue and 1 Red Sea 22K), 1 KZ Fiji purple, I also have a Red Sea White Blue (6500 k and 22 k) but that's off at the moment as I want to have algae under control. The actinics are on for most of the day (from 10 to 8 more or less) the Fiji Puple only goes on for 3 hours. I have notice a lot of brown algae growth when I live it for longer (I am currently trying to figure out best light combination/times). I have too much light for my aquarium so it is very hard for me to find the right amount/times :S

I will upgrade to LED next month but until then this is all I have.

I also have a 10 g sump with a skimmer, a refugium and carbon, and I am also running UV (I only installed this 2 days ago).

thedru13

Again just my opinion.. Temp is a bit low... I like to run my tank a tad bit warmer... Levels looks decent. Lighting sounds okay. You will def see a change with LEDs... Keep the forum posted....

Oxylebius

IMO temp is not low for a BSJ, they are a sub-tropical fish and should be kept in cooler water temps.

bohrio

Hi thedru13

As Oxylebius has said, it was all because of the BSJ and because I heard they do better at lower temps. I just to run my aquarium at around 80 degrees but because of the BSJ I decided to lower the temperature a bit and bring it closer to 75. I dont think I will go any lower than 77 for the moment...