Alternate ways of fragging Xenia

Stacef

I have a very overgrown colony of pulsing Xenia that needs to be fragged. It seems that everytime I cut a stalk off, and superglue it to a rock, it's gone the next day, I have tried all different superglue gel, I just think it's the Xenia releasing something where I cut it that is count acting with the glue.

Anyways, I got a green leather frag from a fellow reefer. She stabbed a hole through the base of the leather, and used fish string to attach it to the rock. Anyone oppose to doing this to Xenia?

Or any other options to try and attach it?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
STace that's a GREAT way to do Xenia and many of the other "soft" corals. Xenia (and the others) will slime off the glue. I've had good luck with actually peeling the base from the rock it's on and gluing that. Apparently they aren't as likely to slime off from the base but every time I cut in the middle of a stalk it will "slime off".

What I've started doing is "teaching" the Xenia to grow on the glass and just scrape the glass. This gives a VERY nice matt that glues fairly well.

Stacef

Sounds great Al, thanks for the advice.

I am also bringing Vicki one of my black/red mushrooms. Now with my experience, I have NO luck ever getting a mushroom to stay. Any hints??

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
LOL!! Similar method... well not really...

I put them in a cup/tub with Rubble and use netting/wedding veil material over the top of the cup/tub. Usually in a week or so they will attach to a rock and you're good to go.

Stacef

Hahah, well I'm meeting her in 2 days, soooo, that's kind of out of the question. I already let her know that I have NO luck with attaching them that she may have to, so Vicki--I am pretty sure you are still going to have to attach it yourself. Sorry:D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You can try loose net/wedding veil over the shroom itself held on with a loose rubber band. Or heck just take it to her LOOSE! I have them loose in 2 of my tanks at any general time. They eventually end up attached to a rock somewhere and in like 3 months they are EVERYWHERE :)

Stacef

I would if it were a regular mushroom, but it's the black/red ones... I want it to attach so she doesn't lose it in her rockwork.

JoJo

They eventually end up attached to a rock somewhere and in like 3 months they are EVERYWHERE :)

yea, yea we know you're tank is gorgeous Al... you dont have to rub it in that its also a coral breeding ground. LOL

cbrownfish

I have a Xenia island on my sand bed and periodically, it becomes over grown and needs pruning. I usually push rubble up against the stalks that are closest to the edge and within a couple of days, they begin to "walk" over to the rubble. From there, I simply use a razor to cut the piece that is still attached to the main colony.......instant frag and it is already attached!

lcstorc

Ok Al
There are a lot of us that talk to our fish, but you are the only one I know who claims to be able to teach coral.

Stacef

How much does one lesson cost?

I would like to teach my Xenia how to stop bothering my mushrooms that's far away from it, but daily it seems to reach it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Stace I teach mine with scissors and a knife. They touch they get "shortened".

How much are lessons? hmmmmm they could be VERY expensive indeed.... I mean Who else do you know who "Talks" and also "Teaches" da corals? I think I may have the corner on this market :)

BigAl.... aka

Coral Whisperer Extraordinaire
( $$$hourly rates may apply$$$)

sambrinar

Ok Al
There are a lot of us that talk to our fish, but you are the only one I know who claims to be able to teach coral.

I mean Who else do you know who "Talks" and also "Teaches" da corals? I think I may have the corner on this market :)

BigAl.... aka

Coral Whisperer Extraordinaire
( $$$hourly rates may apply$$$)

That should be an instant RA member don't you think Lynn??

Stacef

Al's not an RA member yet?! Jeesh, slacker, must be working to hard at work these days.

I really wish I had that magic speaking Al,

In all seriousness, how did you get them to start doing that? I got my GSP growing up my overflow and back walls, but that's simple, lay it leaning on it, haha.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
LOL! Hate to be a "Bubble Popper" but I'm pretty sure there's no "Begging" in my future :) LOL!!

Stace as for HOW I do it.... I can't tell you that.... it's ancient Reefing Secret :) I can shoot you over My PayPal account and once "Payment is confirmed" you can hold your phone to the tank and I'll "Teach" them for you *S

Stacef

Hhaha, I'll be sure to put it on speakerphone so I can jot down all of your notes too :D