Alrighty Then....Let's Get it Going

mojoreef

Just a reefer
alrighty then..let get it going

Ok the concept of this forum from my understanding is to talk/debate/discuss thiings about reef tanks and how to be sucessfulkly keep one. For age old concepts to the latest gadjet on the market. So lets get it going. Pick a topic and we can start talking about it.

mike

Curtswearing

I was skimmerless for a while. I was utilizing different methods of producing planktonic food and was also dosing Microvert, DT's, and zooplex. I also feed cyclopeeze and Golden pearls (only target fed due to the phosphates).

I believe feeding corals. However, I added a skimmer for too many reasons to list here. So basically, I'm adding a bunch of food and then stripping it right back out.

Does anyone see of a better way of accomplishing two goals----clean water and healthy corals?

SaltyQueen

here's a simple way to look at it... When you're done eating dinner, you wipe off (or should anyways...) the table, getting rid of crumbs, etc. You could look at your skimmer like that... When your critters are done eating, the skimmer "wipes up" their "crumbs" (anything leftover that they didn't eat.

Curtswearing

This thread disappeared for a bit while I figured out how to merge threads. This thread is now opened and will remain as a sticky for people to put up a topic to be discussed. Once a topic is added, a new thread on that topic will be opened.

(Please be patient with me, I'm trying to learn how to do some of the administrative chores here).:)

Curtswearing

OK---I have now really messed everything up. Make sure you look at the feeding Woes thread to know what is going on. I'll figure it out eventually.:columbo: :columbo: :columbo:

bourganaes

turn it off

I always shut off ALL my filtration for at lest 2 hours when feeding - that seems to get the job done- the the filter and skimmer can clean up later.
Good luck and good reefing

Paul B

What is it, every three years, someone posts something? I am old and may not live to see three more posts so I will add to this thread.
I believe that to have a tank running many years you need to add bacteria from the sea occasionally. I have always done this by collecting some mud from a lagoon and putting it in a container in my tank for a few days. Then I remove the container with the mud because I only want the bacteria.

l3fty999

What is it, every three years, someone posts something? I am old and may not live to see three more posts so I will add to this thread.
I believe that to have a tank running many years you need to add bacteria from the sea occasionally. I have always done this by collecting some mud from a lagoon and putting it in a container in my tank for a few days. Then I remove the container with the mud because I only want the bacteria.

Does it matter where you collect the mud? I live within driving distance of our coastline here in Washington state and I was wondering if a temperature change would affect the bacteria in any way, if they're even the ones I want. What do you think?

Aaron

Paul B

Wow that was a long time getting that new post.
I don't think the temp difference would affect the bacteria that much. Our seas here in NY go from about 35 in the winter to anout 70 in the summer.
I collect some mud and just put it in my tank in a container for a few days then I remove the mud. I stir it up a little so some of the mud and bacteria get out of the container. It seems to work.