Alkality, Mg, Ca all very high. Concern?

RogerBrooks

Hello:
I am new to reefing and have an Innovative Marine Fusion Nano 20 gal tank with skimmer and carbon reactor. It's been going for a couple of months. The tank has a lot of LPS, softies, and 9 small fish.

Question:
My readings are as follows:
- NO3: 0
- Ammonia: 0
- Alkalinity: 12.3 to 13.2 (depending on which test kit)
- Magnesium: 1400
- Calcium: 470+

I do about a 20% water change each week and my readings are always high, as you can see above. Is this cause for concern?
- When I add fresh water it is RO water.
- The salt water I get from the LFS.

Are there ways to reduce these numbers besides adding RO water (already doing) and more water changes (already do every week).

Much appreciated!

mr_tap_water

Hi there
Your stats are at the higher end but nothing to worry about and they usually start to drop over a length of time on their own,
If you're really not happy a Couple of ways you could drop them is to choose a Salt brand with lower stats this will gradually bring them down after a number of water charges, also your SG what do you have that at at the moment , if that is on the high side you could also drop as well and will also see a difference over a short period of time.
That said if I was you if you're corals look happy I would just leave it for now keep testing regular and if it increases any more then try the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 ^

while your alk is on the upper end I would not start trying to change it dosing, I would be more worried about the bio-load of your nine fish in a 20 gallon

a couple of good reads

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.php
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

Marine Fish Stocking Limit

parameters_zpse708bae7.jpg

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

DaveK

Hello:
I am new to reefing and have an Innovative Marine Fusion Nano 20 gal tank with skimmer and carbon reactor. It's been going for a couple of months. The tank has a lot of LPS, softies, and 9 small fish.

Question:
My readings are as follows:
- NO3: 0
- Ammonia: 0
- Alkalinity: 12.3 to 13.2 (depending on which test kit)
- Magnesium: 1400
- Calcium: 470+

I do about a 20% water change each week and my readings are always high, as you can see above. Is this cause for concern?
- When I add fresh water it is RO water.
- The salt water I get from the LFS.

Are there ways to reduce these numbers besides adding RO water (already doing) and more water changes (already do every week).

Much appreciated!

Before any of us can make any judgments about your system, we must know the SG of your water, preferably measured with a calibrated refractometer. This is because a change in SG will effect all the other readings your interested in. Your reading all seem to be on the high side. This is unusual and often it's because the SG is way too high.

I will also add that 9 small fish in a 20 gal tank is way way too many, and you should look to reducing this to about 2 to 3 fish or investing in a much larger tank. Typical stocking limits for a SW tank are about 1 inch of fish per 5 gal of water. In a 20 gal tank your down to about 16 - 17 gal of water by the time you add live rock and any sand. This limits you to about 2 or 3 fish about 2 inches long.