Algae reactor

Luke Smith

Hi I’m thinking of getting a ITC ALR1 Marine Algae Light Reactor Refugium what’s people’s thoughts on them?

DaveK

I have not used this product. After looking at it online, it looks like it would give you similar restults to just about any other algae scrubber or refugium set up to grow algae. It does seem on the expensive side. I didn't like the need to take it all apart to clean it and remove excess algae.

As far as getting one goes, this depends very much on your own tank, what problems you have with it, and what livestock you want to keep in the system. This needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis. I would only consider this device if your systems lighting and normal filtration is up to par.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I’ve heard, consistently, that while they excel at growing macro algae, they get detritus build up quickly and require frequent cleanings.

Luke Smith

Thank you for the feedback I’m just wanting to build a setup that’s more natural and iv seen a lot of people saying this is a good way to good with useing algae and this unit keeps showing up in tank threads, what other algae refugium would you recommend?