AI SOLL VS ATI 6x39W

Setragni

Hi,
Im thinking about switching from AI Sols to T5s.
I cant get the coloration I want out of the sols and big part of my corals change colors drastically under LEDs.
with that said I have a few questions for you guys.
1. I was thinking the best option would be an ATI fixture. What is your Opinion?
2. I have a 57G Rimless tank 36 x 18 inches. Would 6x39W Be enough to keep SPS?
3. Is it worth getting the Power module or the sunPower will do the job just fine?
4. What do you use to control the T5s?
5. Do you think the change is a bad idea?
Thanks in advance!

Setragni

Forgot to mention im running 2 sols ATM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Doogle

I think your gonna do better with an 6 bulb ATI. But that's me, I like t5 , it's proven to work. Either way your looking at the best t5 and led fixtures on the market at the moment, basically.
Hardcore!lol but you could add a single or double t5 and just supplement your AI fixtures and get good results too.

I think a sunpower is great for 4 bulbs but for 6 the power module is hard to beat. Either way they will get the job done. Why not get the dimmable power module so you can ramp the lights up and down like LEDs?

They come with everything you need, ballasts etc...

Is it a good idea, I don't know. You just may need supplements to your AI.

Setragni

I thought about the module but its too expensive. I wonder if i should get 6 or 8 bulbs.

Doogle

As you said your tank is 36x18 . The 6 bulb sun power is 13.4" wide and rated or SPS only tanks up to 105 gallons
I think your good. You could have 4 bulbs and do fine. The 4 bulb sun power is rated or SPS tanks up to 50 gallons.

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
I wouldn't rush into anything, wait to hear back from others who have actually used both fixtures. How long have you been using the Sols?

Doogle

I've seen both recently but never had them myself. I haven't heard many people complaining about ATI , led is another story.

engineer goby

I wouldn’t recommend any product I haven’t personally used, that would be irresponsible but I can vouch for the ATI bulbs. I have used them in my Nova Extreme fixture for a year and have great color and growth from all my corals. I have a 24” deep 90 with around 15 SPS and a Crocea Clam on the bottom all doing exceptionally well and doing well for some time.
As for complaints on light fixtures I haven’t heard to many about any light fixture other then the odyessa fixtures. Before jumping ship on the SOLs I would talk to others that are using them and see what % they are running everything at and maybe try some of their suggestions. If that doesn’t work for you shoot me a pm with a price your willing to except for the lights, I might just be interested.

Answering your questions:
thinking about switching from AI Sols to T5s.
I cant get the coloration I want out of the sols and big part of my corals change colors drastically under LEDs.
with that said I have a few questions for you guys.
1. I was thinking the best option would be an ATI fixture. What is your Opinion? ATI is a leader in the industry and makes a quality product
2. I have a 57G Rimless tank 36 x 18 inches. Would 6x39W Be enough to keep SPS? I'm guessing the tank is 20" deep? If so yes 6x39W will support SPS
3. Is it worth getting the Power module or the sunPower will do the job just fine? The sunPower will work fine
4. What do you use to control the T5s? A $10 timer from Home Depot
5. Do you think the change is a bad idea? Personally I think your going backwards but I have no experience with LEDs but plenty of people on RS do and I would wait to hear back from them.
Thanks in advance!

Doogle

Ha! Funny Rob I remember you saying the power module was your dream fixture not to long ago....Ha!
I've heard people not being satisfied with the first gen sols. If your looking for more colors then a 6 bulb t5ho will give you that. Add a led strip for shimmer if you need it.

You seem to bet set on ATI and werent asking for a recommendation about ATI fixtures, right? Pretty sure the masses of satisfied ATI users will back it up anyway. I could see it being irresponsable if I said you have to get this and not that, but that didnt happen.

TylerHaworth

I just recently (in the past week) did a conversion to LED's on my NanoCube... I can already tell that I will not use LED's over T5 or Halides on any of my subsequent builds... The growth may end up being just as good, but the color rendering is just nowhere near up to snuff when compared to any T5 or Halide fixture I've come across

My vote is for the 6 bulb Sunpower... ATI is widely accepted as the best T5 manufacturer on the market

engineer goby

Ha! Funny Rob I remember you saying the power module was your dream fixture not to long ago....Ha!
I've heard people not being satisfied with the first gen sols. If your looking for more colors then a 6 bulb t5ho will give you that. Add a led strip for shimmer if you need it.

Find that quote because I don't think I said that. Besides I didn't say it was a bad fixture I said the sunpower would work. I remember you asking if the odessa was a good fixture now your giving out advise on lighting

Doogle

Yup I asked if it was a good fixture for the money, when I first got here ! LoL did I buy it, NO! I'm not well funded enough to put brand new TEK or ATI on all my tanks. I have fishneedit t5, current outer orbit hqi/t5 and ordered aquaticlife this week, I do try to dabble as much as I can.
If you found something wrong with what I said by all means. I didn't 'vouch' for any fixture. You speak as if I'm being irresponsible for my opinion, maybe you should reread it. And yes you said "dream fixture" lol!! I can find it for you if you really want me too.
I don't know why you have this love/hate thing with me....

engineer goby

doesnt t5 have a much fuller spread on the sanded unlike single point light sources. I don't have facts to back that up but it seems like you get better par for a longer spread than most others.
Yea sounds like you should be dispensing advice
A lot of people I've been reading about say the ATI aqua blue special gives a washed out look to the colors in some combinations.
So you have no experience with this bulb and your going to give your opinion based on hearsay, that seems helpful.
Still looking for a lower-mid end fixture for a softy tank, are these better quality than Odysea? They housing somewhat resembles a TEK fixture. Anybody have these? Are they u.l. Listed?.
Really, Odysea and quality in the same sentence.

Your the little kid screaming Look at me! just about every post says "people say" "ive heard"

Welcome to my ignore list.

Doogle

Ha. Wow. Yes t5 does have better spread and more equal par values over wider distance than single point light sources.
You seem to have a problem with relaying information from people like Grim Reefer and many others who say that about the aqua blue speacial bulb, and yes I have seen it for myself. And your griping about when I asked if anyone had fishneedit fixtures and asked if they where better quality than Odysea.

Your really reaching Rob. Really mature of you.
I wish you would ignore me and stop giving me bad karma for things like this that you don't agree with.

Doogle

Thread officially derailed. Setragni I apologize for that. Hopefully someone else will jump in who can add something of value to this thread.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I have a nano with LED (not SOL) and an RSM with ATI T5's. I like the color rendition of both, but would prefer that my RSM had LEDs for the shimmer and heat factor involved with the T5s.

Setragni

I am going to get a tek elite (much cheaper than the ati). And give it a try before i sell my sols.
If I dont like it I will return it.
Now, What are your thoughts on the Tek elite? Lol!