Aggressive Yellowtail Damsel

mermer0209

I purchased 2 yellowtail damsels and added them to my 34 gallon tank 2 weeks ago. I was already aware of the aggressive nature of damsels, so I have added them last to the tank. Right now I have 1 Ocellaris Clown, 1 Royal Gramma, and the 2 Damsels. Lately, I've noticed the larger damsel nipping and attacking my royal gramma. I knew to expect some of this, but my royal gramma has been getting the most of it. Already has a fin nipped and some scale damage from going to hide. My royal gramma early on found a hole in my live rock that he has made his home and can completely back in to. He continues to go there to hide, but this one damsel has continued chasing and nipping at him.

A long time ago, I read somewhere online about quaranting agressive fish in the tank - like timeout. I do not have a separate isolation tank. This morning, I was able to catch the big damsel and right now have him in an in-tank isolation tank. All seems to be peaceful with the other 3 fish. My question is this - how long should I leave him in isolation? It is a clear isolation tank with holes, so he can see the other fish.

Reddog170

To be honest I would leave him there until I found him a new home. He is trying to be the dominant fish and has shown aggression toward your other fish. That is not likely to stop, at least in my experience. Best of luck, Shaun

JandR

Yea I agree with above! Its really not worth loosing a more expensive fish to a $5 fish.Good job on catching him though we tried FOREVER to catch ours LOL but you can trade him in at a LFS maybe for extra credit...