Adding sump to rsm 250

curly01

Hi, I am wanting to add a sump to my rsm 250. I have a deltec skimmer that I want to put in it. Has any one done anything like this and if so what sump would you recommend? Also what size pump would you use?
Thanks

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I used an eshopps rs-75 sump on my 250 for quite a while and it fit nicely in the cabinet. It's kind of small so there really isn't that much room for equipment. If I had to do it all over again I would make my own sump out of the biggest tank I could fit in that cabinet. Don't forget you'll need an overflow and the only one I would recommend is lifereef. Or if you want to spend the big bucks (and get a lot for your money) you can get a combo sump/refugium from lifereef.

Check it out at www.lifereef.com

Last edited:
i just switched out my stock skimmer to deltec mc500 like a lot of ppl here did. I first realize the noise and heat has been decreased lots. but as for function, the amount deltec pulled out is just tiny bit more than stock skimmer, I cant tell much differences. This can be my tank is already pretty clean, not much waste to pull except the food i fed everyday?
I always wanted to add a sump and refug underneath so i can do tons more modify to the tank such cooling fans, extra water volume, better skimmer and filter socks, all monitor Ato dosing hiding underneath etc
but I step back and think, whats the point of buying rsm250 if you gonna add a sump in the first place? I know its hidden under but it just feels not right to me, Just my 2 cents.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
On adding a sump to our RSM AIO tanks & lots of other mods... it's a hobby... the fun for many is not only adding fish & corals, but modding & upgrading equipment - you see the same in custom build tanks, they are always "improving them too", few spent thousands on the very best components money could buy & then over the years don't upgrade equipment.

I am convinced "it's the journey, not the destination" that is the most fun - I loved my 130D, but it was so much fun upgrading to my RSM 250 & starting again, I am sure I would feel the same if I upgraded to an S series... and lots of members of the RSM Club enjoy the journey while improving their tanks -

my thoughts... on why ... golfers always need the newest clubs, fishermen always need the latest rods & reels, bowlers always need the newest ball, on & on... it's our hobby :) I always want new fish & corals... and a bigger tank to put more in ;)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here how a sump works...

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

you need one of these... http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html

lg_RSM%20Cutout_rearview.jpg

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yep to Glenn's picture! I am using that same lifereef overflow, I just have mine in the center of the tank.

Check out Diana's chronicle, looks like she loves hers! I would love to put a sump in my tank to upgrade the skimmer but I have my tank in the middle of a room and don't want to put the chiller on the outside. I look forward to seeing what you do! (Also check out your lfs and ask who they know that does custom acrylic work for sumps/refugiums you might find a great deal$)

FCatCH76

e-shops makes the same overflow and works just as good for half the price...I've been absent from the forums for quite some time but my system has never failed. I use a precision marine sump and cut the center out of my cabinet. You could check my build thread and see what I mean.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You can't go wrong there! Jeff at Lifereef is a great guy and makes a great (albeit) expensive product!

Doesn't adding a sump and overflow box defeat the purpose of an all in one like the RSM's? It would probably be cheaper to build something instead.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Doesn't adding a sump and overflow box defeat the purpose of an all in one like the RSM's? It would probably be cheaper to build something instead.

Not necessarily. For me, I can still keep the clean and sleek look of the RSM 250 with all cables hidden, pumps hidden, etc. but add about 20-30 more water volume and a refugium.

Not necessarily. For me, I can still keep the clean and sleek look of the RSM 250 with all cables hidden, pumps hidden, etc. but add about 20-30 more water volume and a refugium.

I see your point...

But if I could do it over again, I would have gone with a drilled rimless 55-65 gallon cube, stand, and sump underneath with hanging LED's over the top.

Pumps, skimmer, ATO, etc would be hidden in the sump contained in the stand and the only thing exposed would be the lights.

That's if I could do it over again. I like the RSM tank, but my next will be something like I just described. But probably bigger :)