Adding media bag Inside of Reef Octopus hob 1000

tucker

I have a reef octopus 1000 hob skimmer. Can you add bio pellets, activated charcoal, de-nitrate or gfo in a media bag to the one side of the hob skimmer? (I circled the area in green on the picture where it would go). I thought that this unit comes with two pieces (circled in red) that can be added if you would like to run a media bag. If so what is the appropriate media bag size and type and which additives can I run inside the skimmer, Bio pellets, activated charcoal, de-nitrate, gfo or any of them? Also how much should I put inside said bag?

Attachments

• 3CBD9630-9EC2-4505-A0C8-4F9D4C7D5A7C.jpeg
    3CBD9630-9EC2-4505-A0C8-4F9D4C7D5A7C.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 2

tucker

Here is a picture of the skimmer up and running. As you can see all the bubbles and action is happening on the left side. The green circle is where I would put media bag and the red is where the two pieces go that I currently don’t have inside the skimmer right now, I assume to prevent the bag from falling?

Attachments

• 83C599FB-5F15-4159-8528-9909DABF5D23.jpeg
    83C599FB-5F15-4159-8528-9909DABF5D23.jpeg
    490.4 KB · Views: 5

DaveK

The chamber your tallking about functions as a bubble trap, and is used to keep micro bubbles out of your display tank. The chamber is also too small to put a reasonable amount of media. I recommend you leave it alone, and use a media reactor if you want to add any other chemical media.

As for what chemical media to use, this depends upon your tank. You may not need any at all, or you may need a lot of them. In a SW system you almost never need biomedia, because youhave all that live rock and live sand.