Adding links to your signature

Choff

Do you have to have a certain post count to put links in your sig? At first I thought you had to be a premium member, but I see others with them. I did my best to search the FAQ and couldn't find anything that said I couldn't do it or any restrictions on it. I get an 'BB code url is not allowed' error when I try to do it.

steved13

PREMIUM
If it's a link to your tank thread on Reef Sanctuary that should be no problem. Links to other forums or commercial links, are usually not allowed, unless you are a paid sponsor.

Choff

It is a link to my tank thread here @ RS. When I use this (add brackets to beginning and end) I get a BB code url is not allowed

URL="http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/76439-choffs-rsm-650-build.html"]Choff's RSM 650 Build[/URL

Down in my signature permissions it says 'Allow link BB code' No

Conway Corals

RS Sponsor
Try this instead, otherwise, just put the link by itself, I'm pretty sure out will parse the link when it processes your submission.

<a href="http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/76439-choffs-rsm-650-build.html"> name of link </a>

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Mine used to work, then it won't allow me to either. Also html is disabled too. So I just put them in as a text and let people copy and paste if they want to see the pages.

....Salt Creep Is Everywhere!....

steved13

PREMIUM
HTML code is off for me and the links work, BB code is on though.

Try using the link icon. Type the link title that you want to use (Choff's 650 build) then highlight it, and click on the globe icon with the chain link. A box will pop up where you insert the URL and see if that works.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here the syntax that works for me... I have replaced all the starting brackets "[" with a "Z" so you can see it, hope this helps :dance:

ZSIZE="2"]ZCOLOR="YellowGreen"]ZFONT="Comic Sans MS"]ZCOLOR="YellowGreen"]~ Red Sea Max 130D and RSM 250 ~
Z/COLOR] Z/FONT]Z/COLOR]Z/SIZE]
ZURL="http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/44439-glenns-new-rsm-130d.html"]Glenn's Reef 130Z/URL] ZURL="http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/62437-glenns-reef-rsm-250-a.html"]Glenn's Reef 250Z/URL] ZCOLOR="YellowGreen"]

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>Z/COLOR]

Choff

Thanks all, but Skrillnet I tried HTML after BB Code didn't work. Allow HTML is also set to no in my sig. Steve, I don't have the link option in my sig. I looked for that as well. I can do it in reg posts, but not in my sig. Glenn, your code is the exact format as what I used. For giggles, I copied yours (replacing the [ for Z's) and got the no BB code allowed message.

The syntax is not the issue, its the profile settings. sk8rdn has over a 1K posts and been a member for almost a year, so I doubt it is a threshold setting. I initially thought you needed to be a premium member, but I have seen non-prems with low post counts with links in their sig. Does not really make sense...

steved13

PREMIUM
Choff, I was able to input it for you and it took.

FYI your syntax was fine, I added the "[" and "]" and it worked.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers - Steve - I though it should :)

here it is... if anyone else want to see it

I changed the starting [ to a z so it would show up

zURL="http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/76439-choffs-rsm-650-build.html"]Choff's RSM 650 Build[/URL]

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Issues like this could also be related to the overhaul if the site by Travis and team... Some permissions might ge lost/reset during the process.

....Salt Creep Is Everywhere!....

Choff

Thanks Steve, but I still can't do it. When you added the link to my sig, you did so with your permissions as a board admin, not with my permissions.

I just went in to try to edit my signature to add some regular text and when I try to save it I get the 'BB code url is not allowed' message. I didn't touch the code you put in. I still believe it is a permissions issue. When you go to edit your signature, look at the signature permissions at the bottom. Does it say Yes or No for 'Allow Link BB Code'? Mine says no. I am guessing this is the permission at issue.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
What do you have these set to?

Miscellaneous Options
Message Editor Interface:
Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing
Basic Editor - A simple text box
Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls
When posting messages to the forums or other members, there are three interface types available to you. The simplest of these is a simple text box, while the last is a fully-fledged WYSIWYG editor, which allows you to format your text as you want it and see the results immediately.

Depending upon the capabilities of your web browser, you may not be able to use all of these options. If you experience problems when posting messages, try switching to a different interface type.
Forum Skin:
There is more than one skin in which you can view the forums. If you would like to switch to a different skin, select it from this list.

Please note that some forums here may override your skin choice temporarily.
Enhanced Attachment Uploading:
Enhanced Attachment Uploading on
Enhanced Attachment Uploading off
The forum features an enhanced attachment uploading system that allows you to reuse existing attachments via a drag and drop interface.

Depending upon the capabilities of your web browser, you may not be able to use the enhanced system. If you experience problems with the interface, try disabling this option.

steved13

PREMIUM
I've posted a question to Travis.

Choff, we'll get you an answer. My 1st guess is it's just one of those glitches, and it's only affecting a few and it can be corrected easily, but we'll find out.

Conway Corals

RS Sponsor
Just to hazard a guess as to what happened. The forums got attacked, and restored from a previous backup. Most of the time, you also have to restore specific permissions to specific groups in the event of a recovery like that. Most likely what happened is the vBul group you are in got changed during the restore and your account is being restricted like it was not before.

I'm sure once the problems with the forums get ironed out, you should be fine.