HELP! Adding fish after copper treatment

Bahamasteve

Good day,

So, I beginning a copper treatment for some fish in my tank, and I'm going to progressively work my way up to getting my free copper levels to the therapeutic level (0.20-025 mg/L) for treating my fish. However, More fish is suppose to be coming in, after I start my copper treatment, and after my levels are already at this therapeutic level. Can I add fish after I already reach to this copper level?

DaveK

This is really going to sound like I'm beating someone new over the head on a first post. I'm sorry about that, but your doing things wrong.

Something as toxic as copper should always be done in a quarantine tank. No exceptions.

You should not add additional fish when doing treatment. This will cause even more stress to the new fish, something you don't want to do.

See this thread on treatment by copper -
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/copper-treatment-use-problems.23130/

Your best course of action would be to get a quarantine tank and treat your existing fish there. As for the new fish coming in, either set up a second quarantine tank for them or sell, trade or give them away. You don't want to mix the old and new fish until you are sure you no longer have any disease problems.

Bahamasteve

This is really going to sound like I'm beating someone new over the head on a first post. I'm sorry about that, but your doing things wrong.

Something as toxic as copper should always be done in a quarantine tank. No exceptions.

You should not add additional fish when doing treatment. This will cause even more stress to the new fish, something you don't want to do.

See this thread on treatment by copper -
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/copper-treatment-use-problems.23130/

Your best course of action would be to get a quarantine tank and treat your existing fish there. As for the new fish coming in, either set up a second quarantine tank for them or sell, trade or give them away. You don't want to mix the old and new fish until you are sure you no longer have any disease problems.
Thanks for the reply David. I do have a quarantine tank that I'm doing the treatment. Now the issue I'm having is time restraints; this includes getting a new tank before the fish arrive. Is there any other alternative treatments as effective as copper for quarantine, which has a shorter treatment period. I know copper treatment period last for about a month, but I would love something that's takes about a week or two weeks tops, because of the how quickly fish are being sent in for quarantine. Thank you for your time.

DaveK

What disease or condition are you trying to treat? This is critical if you want to consider other treatments.

Bahamasteve

What disease or condition are you trying to treat? This is critical if you want to consider other treatments.
Honestly, I'm just trying to quarantine my new fish to be placed in my display tank. I heard that using copper was the typical method used before establish fish in your main tank. If there are other methods typically used for quarantine new fish arrivals, please share

DaveK

If your fish don't have any disease conditions, then you should not treat them with copper. You should also not medicate the main display tank to treat a fish disease. If your tank is a SW reef system, you should never ever use copper in it.

At one time, people did dose copper to the main tank treat or prevent the common parasitic diseases. This is considered totally obsolete by today's standards.

See this thread on quarantine tanks -
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-fish-quarantine-process-step-by-step.23584/

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie: