Adding Coral

eric w

Hi all,

I have added a CUC to my RSM250 and I will not be getting any fish for 6-8 weeks. Can I add coral at this time. And any suggestions on one or two easy ones? My son and I liked the bubble and umbrella. Thanks

Therapy

Sorry that I'm not familiar with your tank. How long set up? How far into cycling is it or how long since it finished cycling? How much LR? IMO, if the tank is new (and cycled) I'd personally do a fish or two first if this is a new tank. They add far more bioload than adding a coral. Fish will upset the system far more. I'd do the a cpl fish first. But...plz offer up some more history on your tank.

eric w

It is a RSM250, 65 lbs live rock, 80 lbs live sand, finished cycling on Tuesday...I have no QT set up and it will be a while on the fish...so that is why i asked...trying to figure out what to do if anything besides just keeping and eye on it and CUC...thanks

Therapy

Definitely wait then. A cpl weeks. Again, my vote is the fish first. Your bioload is precarious at this time. Let it ride a while longer. Try tossing in a pinch of fish food once in a while (daily as if there was livestock in there) and see what that does to your chemistry. CUC should take care of it and it will tax your denitrifying bacteria a bit. All I'm saying is that this should show that its not quite ready yet.

By Umbrella do you mean a toadstool leather (Sarcophyton sp.)? If so....pretty hardy.

eric w

Thanks...not sure of exact type i think i was labeled umbrella at the lfs...but not sure....and i was just planning on feeding my tank and cuc for the next 6-8 weeks but thought maybe in the process i could add a small piece of coral...but sounds like i should wait which is fine...just looking what else i could do in the coming weeks...thanks again

lbiminiblue

Hi all,

I have added a CUC to my RSM250 and I will not be getting any fish for 6-8 weeks. Can I add coral at this time. And any suggestions on one or two easy ones? My son and I liked the bubble and umbrella. Thanks

How about a torch coral or some zoas?

tnwillia

my .02 to start are Zoas & Mushrooms.

Help yourself and never put Xenia & GSP in your tank, they spread like weeds and will takeover a tank if not chased "constantly". Have fun!

catran

my .02 to start are Zoas & Mushrooms.

Help yourself and never put Xenia & GSP in your tank, they spread like weeds and will takeover a tank if not chased "constantly". Have fun!

+1^. What Tom said!
Wait a little while and consider frogspawn, hammer, or torch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD