Adding beginners corals!

KevinQ

Just looking to start off adding corals to 55 gal FO with live rock/sand and inverts. Have been running my FO tank for 15 years. The inverts I have that concern me about having corals are sea urchins, large hermit crabs, large 5 inch snapper shrimp and emerald crabs? Will go through site to see what I can find and be back with questions soon.
Thank

DaveK

While I don't think you would have a problem with the livestock you mention, if your not sure, get 1 or two modest size frags, and see how they do. I suggest something like a leather coral of some sort, and/or one of the LPS corals such as a bubble coral. You could also consider the various zoas. Get ones that are comparatively inexpensive. Once your shure they are working out, you can go for some more exotic items.

Of the LPS corals, avoid the flower pot corals (Goniopora) because they are very difficult to keep. I would avoid the non photosynthetic corals, such as sun corals, because of the feeding requirements. Also avoid the SPS corals because of the high light and high water quality requirements.