Adding another clown?

chunky

I've had a tiny (maybe 1.5 inches if you stretch him out) oscellaris clown for about a month and a half. I was thinking of adding a black oscellaris but I want to make sure all would be ok. The existing clown hasn't chosen anything to host yet and doesn't seem to have a territory established (he's all over the place) and has been unbelievably friendly to all other other tank inhabitants. So what do you guys think?
Also if you don't think it's a good idea do you have any suggestions for a smaller fish that won't go carpet surfing (rip yellow watchman :tears: )? I currently have the clown, a black cap, and a neon goby that it would need to get along with. Thanks all.

sometimes a clown will change sex when left by its self for a long time. It will change to female and cant go back to being male. Males on the other hand can change to females. If you want to get another clown get a clown that is signifficantly bigger than the one you ave so e forces that clown to stay male. The female is the dominant bigger fish in the tank. If you want to be safe you could get a lot of 5 clowns (in the wild they live in groups). In the wild thier is one dominant female to the group of clowns and when that dominant female dies off the next dominant male will turn female. Its up to you thier are options. You must monitor your fish. (Fighting and submission to the other fish look very similar so dont panic right away unless physical signs of harm to your fish are there or if you fish is basicaly jumping out to get away from the other fish) its your call its hard to pair clowns unless you have two completely opposite sized fish and one is really young.

chunky

I wasn't really thinking of them becoming a mated pair. Would a black oscellaris really pair up with a regular oscellaris?

lcstorc

Yes they can.
I would do the opposite though. I would get a tiny clown just in case the one you have has already become female. A really small clown is going to be male and if the other is still male then the more dominant one will change to female.