Adding a sump/refuge... gathering info & basics

rostervandross

Howdy,

I have a 75 gallon display tank and I would like to add a sump and so I am trying to brainstorm and gather information on how to incorporate it into an already established tank. I dug out and cleaned up an old 40g breeder to be the template.

My first concerns have to do with connecting the main tank into the sump. I am thinking it will have to be a sort of siphon, as I have no overflows or ability to drill into my tank.

From there, I am trying to visualize how to control how much water goes into the sump in case of power failure stopping the return pump, and further how to balance the flow into/out of the tank since the siphon will cause the flow into the sump to be independent of the return pump,unlike an overflow where the return pump is necessary to cause more water in the tank over the overflow, right?

Thanks a lot for entertaining my basic questions!

DaveK

If at all possible, drill the tank. It's a lot more fail safe than any overflow. If that is not possible, get a Lifereef overflow. Yes, they cost twice as much as most of the others, but they will last and they don't have the inherent design flaws of most of the other overflows commonly being sold. See Lifereef here (offsite) - http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html

Because of the way properly designed overflows work, they only remove water from a tank when the sump return pump is adding water to the display tank. There is a certain amount of ;ive water that will drain into the sump when power is off, but the overflow will not drain the tank.

While we are on the subject, it is also important to make sure your return pump plumbing can not back siphon during a power failure. This is best done by drilling a small hole, usually about 1/4" in the return, just below the water surface in the display tank. This will allow air to get in and break the siphon.

DaveK

Use something like this will make it easier for you

View attachment 44047

This is a perfect example of the sort of overflow box that has those inherent design flaws I mentioned in my prior post. My recommendation is never ever use an overflow like this. Yes, they are that bad, here's why -

The wide U tube siphon is impossible to clean. Long term it will accumulate algae and other flora and fauna growing in there, clog and you'll have a flood.

The wide U tube siphon will trap air bubbles. In time this will break the siphon and you'll have a flood.

It's very easy to break the small airline tube on the U tube. This will let air into the U tube and cause a flood.

Typically you connect an Aqualifter Pump to that small airline tube on the U tube siphon to remove air bubbles. This small tube is easily clogged, and then your back to the U tube trapping air bubbles and you'll have a flood.

I speak from bitter experience here, having once used a very similar overflow. I will say that having a flood is only a question of time with such an overflow design. I can not say enough bad things about overflows like this.

rostervandross

All right great, so an overflow box solves my concerns connecting sump to tank.

So I get a box installed and run it into my sump. Recommended material for water lines?
I also need to start thinking about how to partition my sump and the water level inside. Are there any good reads around the net you'd recommend?

Here is the space I am working with.. it is really perfect for a sump. But i will have to drill out a hole though the desktop/counter.

quzHSL5.jpg

And there is a built in shelf above the desk.. I may have to mount the overflow on the side like where my skimmer currently is and run the pipes around the side?

hzgpBO2.jpg

DaveK

It looks like the material used around the area where you plan to place your sump is particle board. Since sumps create a lot of humidity and particle board absorbs moisture easily. I recommend a couple of coats of paint or polyurethane over eith inside area. It's especially needed where you drill through it.

For doing the actual plumping, the best material is rigid PVC pipe, using unions where needed so you can take it apart. The next best material is spa-flex which is bendable PVC pipe. This cements up the same way as normal PVC pipe. This is NOT clear pvc tubing. You should use a heavy duty glue for it.

For other areas where you have no other choice, you can use clear, flexible PVC tubing on hose barbs, It will work but it's prone to having algae and other gunk grow in it, The hose barbs also restrict a lot of flow. When working with it, use hose clamps on every connection.

saintsreturn

Watching as I am building one now. Same questions about running the pipe and how to set it up. Thanks for the links, more reading ahead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saintsreturn

Thank you very much. I have read this thread twice and still have some questions. I will continue to read until I buy the materials and then ask as I go on my build thread. Thank you again and great information!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rostervandross

I understand man, it is confusing until you work it out. just ask im happy to help. It comes together as you build it. But there's so many ways to do it , looking for "the way" is kind of a headache