Added a new sump and everything is dying

Susan987

I have a 90 gallon reef and have had a happy and thriving tank for years. I recently switched out my 40 gallon sump to a 75 gallon sump and I thought it is going to be like a big water change. I added supplements coral food and my corals are dying. My pH is 7.2 (I know a little low), Kh 8, and ca is 440. Does anyone have any ideas?

SPR

Hi Susan

If you’ve changed that much water in one go, did you check the new water parameters were identical or at least very close to the existing system water ?

If there were any differences, including rapid reduction in nitrate/phosphate levels with the new ‘clean’ water that could be your issue. Corals don’t like changes, especially quick ones.

I would check what all the levels were before the water change (last test results if you have them) and then the current levels including nitrate/phosphate and then you may be able to correct the situation.

DaveK

I'd first look at these two possible problem areas.

Did you reduce the biological filtration when you changed out sumps? If you had a refugium as part of the sump or had any biological media in it, or other media that could be a home for bacteria, you could have easily done this. It is also possible that the supplements and food added were part of the problem, since your putting more stress on the biological filtration,

Was the new sump contaminated with anything? There may have been some cleaner or other chemical residue in the sump. Some plastics that are molded may have some mold release compound on them.

The additional water would only be a factor if you didn't match it carefully to the existing water.

Reactions: SPR

saintsreturn

Also, was the sump a homemade one or prebuilt? If a homemade one, the silicone could be your culprit. If a factory one like Trigger or something.... See above two posts.

Susan987

Thanks for the replys. My sump was a newly bought glass tank, but I do not have any additional filtration at this point. I will buy some rock this weekend.

I'm not worried about the water but that does lead to a another question. I have the 90 gallon tank, which hold 70 gallons of water, and another 15 +- in the sump. I would do a 10 gallon water change weekly. Now that I have closer to 100 gallons of water between the tank and sump, do I need to increase my water change?

Uncle99

Dying, can you tell us a bit more on this. Like is it a quick dying within a week or so, or is it more like a month or more. You state recent change but what time frame are we talking about. What does dying look like? What types of corals are dying. Softies, LPS, SPS? Do you have fish and other inverts...are they OK.

i really like the water parameters idea SPR suggests, if it's a water problem, (other than contamination) it will show up. What's the nitrate number?

BTW...how long has your PH been 7.2....that number concerns me, to low for Stoneys, in time not only will stop calcification, it will dissolve skeletons.

Any pics?

Last edited:

SPR

I'm not worried about the water but that does lead to a another question. I have the 90 gallon tank, which hold 70 gallons of water, and another 15 +- in the sump. I would do a 10 gallon water change weekly. Now that I have closer to 100 gallons of water between the tank and sump, do I need to increase my water change?
On this specific question, 10% is just a guideline and general recommendation for weekly water changes. I did 10% for the first year or so every week, but now do roughly 18% ever 3-4 weeks, but I wouldn’t ever go above 20%ish unless I had a problem because of the potential for differences in the water. Remember stability is essential.

These are just general guidelines and the 10% is of total system volume.

Susan987

My SPS are the ones being hit the hardest. They are turning white. My LPS are not opening. And, my salinity is 7.023 and pH is 8.4

Last edited: