Acrylic Tanks

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hi Folks!
I'm starting to plan out a future build so I can see how much cash I'm going to need to swindle from my son's college fund (he's only 9 months so we have time :)).

My questions in on acrylic tanks. I have learned/read/heard the following and I would like to get some experience on the subjects.
  • Scratches easier than glass
  • does not yellow contrary to popular belief
  • Stronger than glass
  • clearer than glass
  • Lighter than glass
  • Cheaper than glass
  • Cost - not sure.....seems cheaper but i have some quotes in the process
This would be a 240-300g tank.....8' long, 24"/30" wide, 24" tall.....depending on how things work out.

I have seen acrylic tanks with a lot of bracing on the top which makes it a little harder for bigger rocks and a lighting system.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on using acrylic on this size tank. Looking at having it made by Advanced Acrylics if i go that route.

Thank You!

DaveK

I think that a tank done in glass in that size would be at about the limit for glass. You can have acrylic tanks made with less bracing on the top, but then you need thicker sides of the tank. I'm not sure about acrylic being less costly. It's a lot more expensive now days.

Considering the size thank you want, I think acrylic is you best option, but it will tend to scratch.

Oh yea, once you get this installed and stocked nicely, I think your required to have a "tank warming" party for RS members. (grin)

Pat24601

Hi Folks!
I'm starting to plan out a future build so I can see how much cash I'm going to need to swindle from my son's college fund (he's only 9 months so we have time :)).

While I have no useful advice on acrylic tanks, as a person with two 16 month old twins boys, I support thinking of alternate uses of the college fund when it comes to reef tanks. :)

sirrealism

I have a glass 8' tank and love it. I had an acrylic tank in the past and got rid of it because of the scratching. Every little scratch gets an algae build up in it and is very hard to clean out. Now this was quite some time ago and acrylic tanks may have come a long way since but for me it only took one tank to ruin it. I do know you can polish scratches out but that means draining it and with 300g I dont think you want to do that.
My 300g 8' is old. "I have no idea how old but its old". I cant find any scratches in it but then again the glass is close to 3/4' thick and it is very heavy. I mean very heavy like 6 big guys cant pick it up heavy. My wife is going to love this but I am bringing home an engine hoist to put it on the stand. Its the only way I could think to get it on the stand with out giving all my friends a hernia.
If acrylic tanks were so good why are most tanks still made of glass? At 8' I am not sure which is more expensive. I bought mine used and resealed it. I got the tank for a steal 200$ So I am willing to do what ever I need to make this tank right. Did it need a reseal? I dont know but its so easy to do why take a chance.

reefer gladness

my 2 cents.. starphire (low-iron) glass for the display sides of the tank and standard glass for the rest.

While less than scientific I base my opinion largely on the condition of used aquariums I see for sale online. Used acrylic tanks always photograph hazy when empty which leads me to believe the micro scratches and abrasions over time make it less clear.

Certainly low-iron glass is equally clear if not better than brand new acrylic.

Depending on the manufacturer and type of bracing you may be advised to use 5/8ths or 3/4 inch glass on a tank that size. Local manufacturers in my area are claiming 3/4 inch is overkill and 5/8ths is just fine but if you live in an earthquake prone area like I do you might opt for the thicker 3/4 inch glass.

When considering the total cost of ownership of a large aquarium over time I wouldn't let the relatively small difference in price between acrylic and glass be a factor in my decision.