Accidental Saltwater Hobbiest

Marydenyse

Hello Everyone.

This is my first post on any form since AOL and dial-up was all the rage.

Back when I was a poor college student, I had a fresh water tank. Of course in my fresh water days, ammonia was my enemy. Long story short, met hubby (salt water guy). Hubby's mother's house burnt down. Her big fresh water fish came to live with us. Her big fish ate my pretty fish and I quit the hobby. Hubby, (11 years ago) cut a hole in our wall in the house to put his 130 gallon tank in (the rest of the tank sits in the garage...we live in S. Fla so temperatures are not an issue). He would stock the tank with a puffer and a lion fish. The tank would eventually get attacked by green or red slime (normally red), and he would run through a bunch of 'cures' offered by the LFS which never quite worked. The fish would die, he would take everything out of the tank and bleach it. Then he would start up the cycle again. Run the tank a bit with damsels, then move in a puffer and lion; then the red slime came again, and soon....death to all. This went on for years until 2 years ago, he stopped. One damsel continued to live. However, I got tired of looking at a green tank with 1 damsel, so 4 months ago I began taking over the tank. I found the test kits expired before my youngest was born (she starts 1st grade this year) and that he thought a protein skimmer was a useless piece of equipment.....so please bear with me as I stumble though the initial learning curve. I have a used protein skimmer that I am installing today, and battling ick in the display tank that is being treated with copper (thanks LFS for THAT advice).

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome. You are in the right place, ask questions and you will be successful!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Quite a story! Welcome. Sad to hear u r treating copper in ur dt.

....... I'm Matt n i love u pavona

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Singlefin said:
Once you put copper In the tank, isn't the tank contaminated? No inverts in that tank anymore?

Part of me is salty...,

Short answer: yes...

...."Fish" Happens!....