Accessories for the wannabe photographer

reefrunner

Contributing Member
OK, so I got a camera, now I wanna look into expanding the limits of my camera. What do I need, and what is hype...and heck, what does some of it do??

I kinda wanted to make this thread just for the P&S digicams, but we have several members with DSLRs, so if you answer, make sure you specify whether it is a P&S or DSLR, so tell us what accessories you have, which ones you can't live without, what they do, and lastly which ones are a waste of money.

My accessories (so far) Fuji s7000 P&S:
-camera bag: must have, protects the camera and makes it easy to carry the cam and all the accessories

-extra rechargeable batteries and charger: I have 3 sets of NiMH rechargeable batteries for my cam, I can shoot all day and some of the next before I have to recharge.

-adapter tube: must have, for mounting filters and additional lenses

-UV filter: this one is supposed to block the UV rays, for me it is mostly to protect the camera lens, it never comes off the camera and it is a must have, IMO

-I just got my +1, +2 and +4 diopter lenses in today, and I'm gonna play with them tonight. These bring the macros even closer. They are for close up shots, think of them as little magnifying glasses for your cam, I'll be interested to see what kind of distortion I get.

-cable release: this allows you to remotely trigger the auto focus and the shutter to avoid camera shake while taking pics off a tripod, not a must have, but better than the self timer

-tripod: must have: allows you to take pics from a steady platform and reduces camera shake

-USB multi card reader: allows me to download pics from several different card types and allows me to remove the pics from my xD picture card and compact flash cards via windows explorer without any drain on the camera batteries. (not a must have but handy, I can also copy the pics to anyones hard drive that has a free usb post and win 98 or higher)

-Rubber lens hood: I honestly am not sure what the use of this is, I got it caus it was cheap and I figured it might help with glare off the glass duing daylight hours, I'm sure it has other uses, but don't know what they are, would really like clarification on that.

-lens cleaning pen: must have, very easy to keep your lenses spotless, I can't find mine, so one of my next purchases will be a replacement, I think they are about 9 bucks at cameragear.com

-Polarizing filter: haven't received it yet, it is supposed to reduce glare and reflections off non-metallic reflective surfaces (figured it might help with the top down shots) and intensifies blue skys.

OK, that's what I got (or got coming) what I want:

-external flash and flash cord to get it off camera.

-additional telephoto lens

-additional wide angle lens

Any suggestions??? Explanations? List yours ;)

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Well I guess no one has any or wants any...I didn't expect this thread to be at the top of the charts but figured it might help someone that has a decent cam and wants to get a little more out of it. When shopping for accessories I always figure what I want or what looks cool, is not necessarily something I need, but can't be sure, I thought this thread might help some find the accessories to get the shot they want without having to buy 10 different things to get to the one that would have gotten the job done.

drdrew

i'm currently shopping for a telephoto for wildlife.
i'm considering the sigma 100-300 / f4 EX
or the sigma 135-400mm f4.5 AF

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Sorry, didn't mean to be all whinny, I think my lip has stopped quivering enough to continue on, LOL.

TDEVIL

Originally posted by reefrunner
Sorry, didn't mean to be all whinny, I think my lip has stopped quivering enough to continue on, LOL.

we will let it slide this time, lol

i have the same cam that you have and some of the accessories that you have

this will tell you what i have :) HERE

i would like to get a better zoom lens, but, for now that is a dream, lol

my only problem now, is taking the time to actually figure this cam out and using the tri-pod and the lenses that i do have

i would also like to know what a good zoom lens would be w/o mounting a telescope to the cam, lol

this shot is w/o the macro lens or the t-pod

Jay