HELP! Aakk! All CUC snails died, hermits doing fine. What'd I do wrong?

Mattie H.

Greetings!

I'm kinda new here... just getting back into reefing after almost 20 years out of the hobby...

I set up my 78 gal with 20 gal sump back in July and started the cycle with 80lbs of CaribSea, a fuge full of miracle mud and eventually 50lbs of ReefCleaners dry rock. Nearly four months later and I'm finally fully cycled. I used the pure ammonia method. Went through a three week nitrite spike, and then a few weeks of super high nitrates. The tank was cycled when all of the levels were at 0 and I could give it a decent dose of ammonia on any given evening and all the levels were back to 0 by the next evening. I had a big diatom bloom half way through, but it was mostly solved with a water change. There is now a moderate amount of diatoms in the tank, no other algae.

So... I waited until levels were steady for a week plus, and then contacted ReefCleaners for my custom CUC! I ordered 50 dwark ceriths, 17 nassarius, 17 regular ceriths, 16 nerites, 14 hermits, 2 emerald crabs,a ball of chaeto and a package of reef pods. They came in the mail last Tuesday, and I had them in the tank within a half hour of delivery.

Here's where it all goes downhill... aside from the two emeralds, which came in just about DOA (John quickly refunded me - he's awesome, didn't even ask questions), everything looked good and healthy. So I followed the ReefCleaners acclimation instructions, let them float for about half hour for the temp to adjust, discarded the packing water and dumped them in. Made sure no one was upside down. The nassarius all took off, as did the nerites and hermits. The regular ceriths stuck their feet out but never moved. I flipped them, but they'd be back on their sides with their feet sticking out a few hours later. The dwarf ceriths never came out at all, only four or five ever crawled away. Within two days, the ceriths, who had never moved, were all empty shells save one. At that point, the nassarius, who had mostly climbed the glass, had fallen down and were just sticking their feet up. Still no movement from the dwarf ceriths. The nerites were still going strong. Within another two days (6 days in), the nerites were falling off the glass and rocks, and starting to act very lethargic. When they fell, they'd just stick their feet out. I'd flip them and they'd start going again, just to fall again. Nassarius were mostly dead, just a few left and not moving. Still no movement from the dwarf ceriths. Got home today after work (it's been 9 days now) and found every single snail is dead, including all nerites. They all failed the sniff test... nasty...

Hermits are all still very much alive and seemingly very happy, tho. I don't think they're the reason for the mass snail die-off - none seemed interested in any snails until dead, save one bigger hermit who was quickly banished to the fuge. I've bought every test kit available to see if the problem might be with my levels, but everything is seemingly perfect:

Ammonia: 0 (even with all the die-off, it's remained at almost 0 the whole time. awesome.)
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
pH: 8.0
Phosphates: 0
Copper: 0
Calcium: 480ppm
Alk: 7dKH
Gravity: 1.025 (refractometer)
Temp: 79.3

I use water from the tap that has been run through my RO filter (no DI tho). I use API kits to test levels. Knowing some folk's skepticism about API's reliability, I went and verified that my kits are all accurate by bringing water to the LFS and having them test as well.

I don't know what the heck to do at this point. I've spent hours Googling, but to no avail (maybe too much... I think saw a list of potential murder weapons on my wife's night stand). I know I should keep doing water changes, but how am I supposed to know if water changes are solving the problem without having to resort to the ol' snail-in-the-coal-mine test?

Where am I going wrong??? Please, help me!!! I am afraid to buy anything else alive until I can figure this out - I don't like seeing anything die, not even little critters. Any help would be very much appreciated! Sorry for the long post - just trying being thorough!

Matt

SPR

Hi Matt
"let them float for about half hour for the temp to adjust, discarded the packing water and dumped them in"

Did you not drip acclimatise them for and hour or maybe 2? Or acclimatise them at all other than temperature? They are very sensitive.

PS. Just read their procedures and what you did is what they told you to do and not to drip - never read anything like that before but I am also relatively new but I think I'll stick to the drip method!

Last edited:

Oxylebius

I also recommend acclimation to the water of your tank as well. After temp acclimation I take more then half the water out of the bag the critters are in and then slowly add water to the bag every 5 mins. Then dump most of the water again, followed by adding water to it every five minutes. After that I add critters to the tank. Drip acclimation follows the same thought.

SPR

I also recommend acclimation to the water of your tank as well. After temp acclimation I take more then half the water out of the bag the critters are in and then slowly add water to the bag every 5 mins. Then dump most of the water again, followed by adding water to it every five minutes. After that I add critters to the tank. Drip acclimation follows the same thought.
Yes this is basically what I do 90% of the time as well. I only usually use the drip method for sensitive stuff like snails, crabs etc. Well until I get fed up of waiting anymore and 'speed it up' as above so to speak!

Mattie H.

I thought about that, but the only bags that had water were the bags the hermits came in... The snails were just in moist bags with wet paper towels in them... Not really anything to acclimate. I've also read in the forums that others use the ReefCleaners acclimation process and it's gone fine.

cracker

No water with the snails, interesting. I think I remember reading about this method and why it's done that way. I've never ordered a CUC and always driped them. I also had a big die off rate then started long drip acclimations, like hours .Now they usually survive after a few days/weeks . Also that many critters in a new tank , maybe not enough food for them. Can You get Your snails and hermits locally ?

DaveK

I posted this on another thread you started.

"I'm looking at the pictures of your tank, and it looks like your using a brass ball valve on the return
pump. If that is actually the case, it's a major mistake. brass is very toxic in SW systems."

This could explain why all your snails died. Inverts are very sensitive to copper in the water and brass is about 65% copper. Bronze, another metal used valves is up to about 90% copper.

Mattie H.

I posted this on another thread you started.

"I'm looking at the pictures of your tank, and it looks like your using a brass ball valve on the return
pump. If that is actually the case, it's a major mistake. brass is very toxic in SW systems."

This could explain why all your snails died. Inverts are very sensitive to copper in the water and brass is about 65% copper. Bronze, another metal used valves is up to about 90% copper.

DaveK, thanks for the warning. I did realize that error when searching online to try to find a solution and it did dawn on me that might be the issue. It was a coated brass valve so theoretically it shouldn't leach any metals, but I changed the valve to PVC anyway - better safe than sorry. I've tested the water for copper and the test came up clear... could trace amounts that don't show up in a test still have such a profound affect? And if it was copper related I wonder why would the hermits still be doing well - they would be affected by copper as well, wouldn't they? I did a big water change out of an abundance of caution, but even after the water change I'm still concerned that if I put in more snails they're going to be similarly affected.

Oxylebius

I've tested the water for copper and the test came up clear... could trace amounts that don't show up in a test still have such a profound affect?

If you tested for copper then that test should give you the range in which it tests for, which would answer your question. All test kits will test in different ranges and we don't know which test kit you used thus we can't answer your question.

How is it going now? Any new batches of snails and if so any issues with them?

Mattie H.

Thanks for checking up! I used an API test kit, which came up completely clear - 0 parts copper, no doubt about it. I've tested ten times at least since the die-off, and it's consistent. I haven't dared risk any more snails since then, but I now have a few mushrooms, a few green chromis and a few peppermint shrimp - all thriving for about a month with no worries whatsoever. Did a few 30% water changes before adding the new stock just to be safe, and I'm also dosing reef plus twice a week. Levels are still great. I still don't know what could have done in all the types of snails but nothing else. LFS guy thinks my levels are so perfect there just really isn't enough food for snails, even though I'm feeding the tank. I'd love to figure it out - I'm afraid to put in any more snails until I do.