A successful RSM 250 Refugium in the media rack

Try to find in your LFS or Internet the filter I pictured on this posting:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...niels-tank-upgrade-rsm-250-a.html#post1253545

It is the replacement sponges for a nano filter. I can't remember the brand right now. Those are 4 squares inside the plastic frame. Ask your sellers of something like that.

Daniel

That stuff looks perfect. It will catch large chunks but let micro debris through.

Honestly, I think it's just AC air handler filter material. This can probably be purchased at home depot and cut into appropriate sizes.

Danreef

That stuff looks perfect. It will catch large chunks but let micro debris through.

Honestly, I think it's just AC air handler filter material. This can probably be purchased at home depot and cut into appropriate sizes.

Here we go......this is what I used in my picture of my tank thread. In the bag comes 4 carbon coated sponges and 4 clear sponges. They sell bigger replacement parts for their BioMaxx filters. I am not sure if the biggers are the same, but I will assume they are.

Got my lights in and it's all up and running. Pretty cool so far. I'm running chaeto in the bottom two shelves and using the pump 2 foam filter in the top shelf for mechanical filtration. Which also doubles to keep the chaeto out of pump 1.

20140818_170043 by deputydog95, on Flickr

You can see some light passing through into the display tank but it's not that noticeable. Which I'm kind of surprised as the media basket is blacked out on the display tank side.

These little halogen lights are pretty darn bright.

Oddly enough, I didn't see a single pod in there despite having dumped a few bottles in last week. Not sure what happened to them. I thought the chaeto would make a great pod breeding ground in the media rack.

I also have a tank with sump at back and considering a refugium.

Threads I have seen show the chaeto tumbling and also people stating that if it does not then it will die off. It would appear that yours does not tumble and has thrived?

I will definitely consider and seen an innovative marine refugium LED light to support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grantd

I realise this is an old post but was wondering how the two RSM 250 Media Rack fuges are coming along or have they been ditched.
I saw Danreef had his chaeto stop growing & he had to restart (in his tank thread)...
Would you do it again guys?
Would you encourage others to start a fuge in the media rack?

Danreef

I realise this is an old post but was wondering how the two RSM 250 Media Rack fuges are coming along or have they been ditched.
I saw Danreef had his chaeto stop growing & he had to restart (in his tank thread)...
Would you do it again guys?
Would you encourage others to start a fuge in the media rack?

My Chaeto stop growing but that wasn't related to the in tank fuge design.

I stop my fuge in the RSM because the 3 submersible lights sold by In Tank, and many other sellers, at the end FAILED. I had water entering in them. Replaced the bulbs and again water entered. I was not able to find a suitable light that I can place in each rack level. Or a LED strip that can be used to provide light to the 3 levels.

So I have to take out the remaining Chaeto.

I have built now an external fuge for my RSM 250, because I was lucky to have an adjacent room to my tank that is my small tool / fish staff room.

I will attach some pictures later.

Bottom line: if you figured the way to provide light to the 3 levels of the In Tank medis rack OR if you do not use the In Tank Media rack and just place the Chaeto in that section and place a sumergible LED strip that will NOT fail with time under water OR provide light in the classical way (from the top), I do not see why it will not work.

There are many guys, with the In Tank Media rack, just using the upper level with Chaeto and the 2 lower levels with Chemipure and purigen, as an example.

Mine worked in the meantime there was food for the algae and the lights worked.

Last edited:

StirCrayzy

I believe many places sell waterproof led strip lights, I got mine from AutoZone for sump cabinet lighting. I tested them underwater first, and was a success. The ones I got are 12v and I'm sure everybody has an old 12v constant current wall wart they could sacrifice to run with....
just a thought.

alabella1

Been awhile since anyone posted here, well, I gave this a shot. Just started it up last week. I got the media basket from intank and they also had a submersible LED from Tunze.

https://intankaquatics.com/tunze-eco-chic-submersible-refugium-led-light-8831/

I put the magnet in my DT and the light in the pump 1 chamber angled the light toward the back facing the chamber with the chaeto. Hoping the light is strong enough to grow the chaeto. It does bleed into the tank quite a bit so I am hoping to find some kind of way to black out the chamber a bit more from the inside. The light has a nice long power cable which I ran to a smart plug and have it set to turn on at 9pm and off at 11am opposite my lighting schedule. Here's some pix.

IMG_8702.jpgIMG_8703.jpgIMG_8707.jpgIMG_9275.jpgIMG_9276.jpgIMG_9277.jpg