A successful RSM 250 Refugium in the media rack

Danreef

Hi All

When I was planning to buy my RSM 250, I was worried about where I can place a refugium without doing modifications. The only possible place was the media rack chamber. I posted the question "Was it possible?" and the answer was, YES. I only saw a posting where the tank owner placed Cheato on the top and below different chemicals. Most of the RSM 250 owners use only bags of chemicals. I do not like to use those, beside Activated Carbon but onl in case I know I have a pollutant in the water. So I decided to test if I can use the 3 levels of the "In Tank" (Brand name) media rack. I also ordered 3 10W underwater lights sold by "In Tank".

The refugium was set-up on 6/01/2014 as it can be seen in this posting of my tank history : http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...niels-tank-upgrade-rsm-250-a.html#post1254659

Later on 7/25/2014 I took some pictures to see the evolution: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...els-tank-upgrade-rsm-250-a-4.html#post1262695

Today 8/06/2014 I decided to take the refugium out and prune the Cheato. The refugium is full of life, feather dusters, pods, sponges, etc.

I consider it a FULL SUCCESS. I would like that this thread will be informative enough for others that want to do something similar.

Pictures are better than thousand words.

Start of the refugium 6/01

Growth by 7/25, sea feather dusters on picture #3

Today 8/06 after pruning Cheato

Life in the media rack

Enjoy this movie with the feather dusters.
And for those who like to take out the black sponges, see how bubbles from the skimmer are filtered on its way to the tank. I left all my RSM 250 sponges.

I replaced the fine filter with this filter. See it after 2 weeks in the tank. This was the second time I cleaned so it went to the trash and replaced it with a new one. After this filter is the black sponge over the return pump #1.

Opening for the lights wires (round hole).

I am not using the fans because the chiller works very well, so there I have my dosing tubes and ATO, that is out today for cleaning.

I hope this helps others !!!!!!

All the best
Daniel

Last edited:

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Nice job, it is good to know that the chamber can be used successfully as a mini refugium.

Oxylebius

Do the lights get hot enough to burn the algae? Doesn't look like it in the pics, but did you notice any issues when you pruned it back?

I have only found Aiptasia, spionid worms and Spirorbis worms in my sump. Feather dusters are great!

Pat24601

Very, very cool. I think the intank media rack seems more solid than than c-250 or I might give this a go.

Very neat!

Danreef

Do the lights get hot enough to burn the algae? Doesn't look like it in the pics, but did you notice any issues when you pruned it back? !

YES !!!

in the 2 lower chambers the Chaeto grew very tight/compact around the bulbs. Around the bulb the Cheato was white. It was like 1/8 " deap all around or less. Just to give you an idea.

Look this picture. The pruned Cheato. Nearby the towel to the right a white elongated spot. To the left also there is white small spot, because it is not spread. The elongated white spot was around the bulb. It was compacted just around the bulb. There is spread. Zoom it

Danreef

Very, very cool. I think the intank media rack seems more solid than than c-250 or I might give this a go.

Very neat!

I do not know how is the RSM C-250 media rack, but this one is very solid !!! made of strong acrylic.

Danreef

I have the same rack. I'm ordering the lights today. I've been dying to try something like this. Nice job.

Thank you !!!

Lights are connected to my controller (RKL) to start at 9 AM and off 10 PM. A timer is enough but I have the RKL, so I use it...LOL

Thank you !!!

Lights are connected to my controller (RKL) to start at 9 AM and off 10 PM. A timer is enough but I have the RKL, so I use it...LOL

I've got an apex and I'm considering running it off that. However, why not just leave them on 24 hours a day? It's just algae. More light, more growth.

My media compartment is covered in coraline so the light shouldn't penetrate into the DT.

I love the idea of getting a pod factory going in there that can't be reached by my wrasse.

StevieT

RS Sponsor
That is really cool thanks for sharing!

For the c series owners we will be looking at upgraded baskets when time allows later this year.

Danreef

I've got an apex and I'm considering running it off that. However, why not just leave them on 24 hours a day? It's just algae. More light, more growth.

I consider that abnormal. Plants (algaes) have a light and a dark cycle. Moreover, nature has a dark and light cycle. I respect it and independently of all the story around the pH and the inverted light cycle in refugiums, I keep it as natural as I can. My pH goes from 8.0-8.1 at the sunrise in the tank to 8.3-8.4 at the sunset in the tank.

There are many threads that discuss these points.

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:

Danreef

I love the idea of getting a pod factory going in there that can't be reached by my wrasse.

I am not sure if the pods can reach the tank with the sponges in place. In my filter picture of the first posting with some cheato on it, I had some pods moving when I took it out. It was funny. After that filter comes the big Red Sea sponge over pump #1.

Daniel

Oxylebius

However, why not just leave them on 24 hours a day? It's just algae. More light, more growth.

I consider that abnormal. Plants (algaes) have a light and a dark cycle. Moreover, nature has a dark and light cycle. I respect it and independently of all the story around the pH and the inverted light cycle in refugiums, I keep it as natural as I can. My pH goes from 8.0-8.1 at the sunrise in the tank to 8.3-8.4 at the sunset in the tank.

Agree. Plants do have a light and dark cycle, which keeps them healthy and functioning properly. When conditions are good the algae will almost exclusively reproduce asexually (good conditions for algae are an abundance of nutrients and good water quality). Reproducing asexually means the body of the algae splits and grows, this is why pruning it back after a certain amount of time in needed. If an algae is unhappy it can go sexual and you don't want that to happen, they can spew lots of spores that can settle and grow in your DT. They reproduce sexually in poor conditions or when conditions are unfavorable for asexual reproduction. I'm not saying that keeping the lights on 24 hrs a day will make the algae go sexual, but I would want to keep the algae happy with the light/dark cycle, thus turning out the light for a certain amount of time. And keep in mind some algaes are more problematic then Chaeto and go sexual easier. Just something to be aware and maybe read more about....

I am not sure if the pods can reach the tank with the sponges in place. In my filter picture of the first posting with some cheato on it, I had some pods moving when I took it out. It was funny. After that filter comes the big Red Sea sponge over pump #1.

Daniel

I don't run a filter between the media rack and the big black sponge over pump 1. Just the large black sponge. Which I would think would be porous enough to let pods through. You'd certainly be killing the ones that live in it which invetiably some would take up residence. But I'm guessing if you have a big enough population going on in there that a percentage would migrate through. I'm certain that the floss aka polishing filters would let almost nothing through, which is why I prefer not to use them. I figure if it's small enough to pass through the sponge material that it will likely be used as food in something in the DT.

For sake of discussion, let's say they can't get through the sponge. Do you have any ideas on how to setup a mechanical filter in another location that would allow free flowing access from the fuge to the display tank?

Agree. Plants do have a light and dark cycle, which keeps them healthy and functioning properly. When conditions are good the algae will almost exclusively reproduce asexually (good conditions for algae are an abundance of nutrients and good water quality). Reproducing asexually means the body of the algae splits and grows, this is why pruning it back after a certain amount of time in needed. If an algae is unhappy it can go sexual and you don't want that to happen, they can spew lots of spores that can settle and grow in your DT. They reproduce sexually in poor conditions or when conditions are unfavorable for asexual reproduction. I'm not saying that keeping the lights on 24 hrs a day will make the algae go sexual, but I would want to keep the algae happy with the light/dark cycle, thus turning out the light for a certain amount of time. And keep in mind some algaes are more problematic then Chaeto and go sexual easier. Just something to be aware and maybe read more about....

You both have knowledge that I don't. Appreciate the info. I'll follow a light cycle. I will have to look underneath at my apex power bar, but I may be out of sockets. However, I guess I could always plug an extension cord with 3 outlets into my light socket on the power bar and run my T5's and both fuge bulbs (only ordered 2, I run chemi pure in the top) off the same outlet. Which would also mean I wouldn't have to reprogram anything as they would turn on an off with my DT lights.

Almost there. All I need are lights. Took the foam block out of the pump 1 area. Took the pump 2 foam block and put it on the bottom. Put chaeto in the top two chambers. So in theory the water should be filtered of heavy particles before the fuge, and pods etc should be able to free flow into the display tank. I'm adding a pile of two different types of pods as I'm typing this. Now I can't wait for the lights to show up.

20140810_152830 by deputydog95, on Flickr

20140810_152625 by deputydog95, on Flickr

Untitled by deputydog95, on Flickr

Danreef

Nice tank !!!

Let us know, in the following weeks, if that set up worked for the pods.

The light that sells In Tank pass through the big holes of the media rack floor.

Cheers
Daniel

Danreef

Almost there. All I need are lights. Took the foam block out of the pump 1 area. Took the pump 2 foam block and put it on the bottom. Put chaeto in the top two chambers. So in theory the water should be filtered of heavy particles before the fuge, and pods etc should be able to free flow into the display tank. I'm adding a pile of two different types of pods as I'm typing this. Now I can't wait for the lights to show up.

20140810_152830 by deputydog95, on Flickr

20140810_152625 by deputydog95, on Flickr

Untitled by deputydog95, on Flickr

I just realized you will not have anything to stop the Chaeto to ruin pump #1. Please , see the picture on this posting and read it.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ub/86917-newo11s-rsm-250-a-6.html#post1264771

Daniel

I just realized you will not have anything to stop the Chaeto to ruin pump #1. Please , see the picture on this posting and read it.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ub/86917-newo11s-rsm-250-a-6.html#post1264771

Daniel

Yeah, I saw that. Not sure if it applies to me.

I am running a very slow return pump in pump chamber 1 and I use ectotechs for water movement in the main tank. So I may not get nearly as much chaeto pull through as people with stock pumps.

Or.... I could slice up the pump 2 foam and put that up top and the chaeto in the bottom 2 compartments. That actually may be a better solution. Then I wouldn't have to fool with the pump 1 compartment ever other than sucking detritus out of there during water changes. Boy does stuff seem to collect in the bottom of that chamber.....

I may slice an inch off the large foam block normally used for pump 1 to make for a minimal barrier.

Danreef

I am running a very slow return pump in pump chamber 1 and I use ectotechs for water movement in the main tank. So I may not get nearly as much chaeto pull through as people with stock pumps.

Or.... I could slice up the pump 2 foam and put that up top and the chaeto in the bottom 2 compartments. That actually may be a better solution. Then I wouldn't have to fool with the pump 1 compartment ever other than sucking detritus out of there during water changes. Boy does stuff seem to collect in the bottom of that chamber.....

I may slice an inch off the large foam block normally used for pump 1 to make for a minimal barrier.

Try to find in your LFS or Internet the filter I pictured on this posting:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...niels-tank-upgrade-rsm-250-a.html#post1253545

It is the replacement sponges for a nano filter. I can't remember the brand right now. Those are 4 squares inside the plastic frame. Ask your sellers of something like that.

Daniel

newo11

Clog was from both large pieces of cheap carbon that got stuck, and then the chaeto built up on top of that. I am not sure if pump 1 would have torn up the clump of chaeto if the carbon wasn't there.

For piece of mind - I've added the sponge back above pump 1, just cut into 1/3 the size. I am still running the chaeto, however with my mandarin passing, I may just remove it. I have other macro algae (dragon's breath) in the display, so the nutrient export of the chaeto is minimal. I am curious to see how this comes together for you however!