A newbee with a nem Stichodactyla haddoni

Basile

Expensive week , expensive weekend, expensive blue carpet Nem, but what a beauty.

Photo291-1.jpg

Just arrived and with a blue light not the best lightin lol.

Photo292-1.jpg

More relaxed

Photo297.jpg

Photo298-1.jpg

Some say you feed this type some say you don't feed this type , any thoughts on that, thanks.

Photo299.jpg

Thats the trick i've learned so far and it worked lol. half an hour like this to an hour and they host it no problem

Photo300.jpg

I had to detach it from the bottom of that glass to put it in the tank last night. i did it very carefully like Mr Saltwater said, massaging the foot and using a credit card , and it worked , she settle down on the sand, later last night and anchored on the right corner backwall facing the Tonga sculptures as well she moved a bit but the real test will be when the light come ON. then she'll choose her FINAL DESTINATION, lol. the fish are awake now and left her but slepped with her all night. I just put the pumps back on this morning. And she's completely relaxed showing her mouth. Is that normal for the clown to leave her like this even if they're hosting her?

Photo277.jpg

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Very BEAUTIFUL ANEMONE...Very Best Wishes for keeping it healthy :fingerx:
I've never seen a blue anemone, is that a natural color or dyed? :ponder2:

Edit: I was just reading on them & saw that you need to be careful handling this particular species of anemone....
"When healthy, this anemone is very sticky to the touch, and when they grasp something (or someone), it is very difficult to convince it to let go without damaging the animal. It is also one of the few anemones that can cause a severe reaction in humans, so keeping one requires care in handling."

Also it says to keep it at least 12 inches from other anemones. It's a very aggressive type.

Basile

Very BEAUTIFUL ANEMONE...Very Best Wishes for keeping it healthy :fingerx:
I've never seen a blue anemone, is that a natural color or dyed? :ponder2:

Edit: I was just reading on them & saw that you need to be careful handling this particular species of anemone....
"When healthy, this anemone is very sticky to the touch, and when they grasp something (or someone), it is very difficult to convince it to let go without damaging the animal. It is also one of the few anemones that can cause a severe reaction in humans, so keeping one requires care in handling."

Also it says to keep it at least 12 inches from other anemones. It's a very aggressive type.

No its natural color, the greens are around $ 95, this one $ 175, like the purple ones, the pinks and reds are $ 500.

My fingers were a bit numbs at the tip but no pain. Just num a bit but it has to be prolong exposure, she was being draged by the flow i finally stopped all power for the night so she could settle in properly.

Basile

Something happened

This morning she was fine and opened up 4 times as big as yesterday but them my Diadema setosum ; Long needle Hatpin Urchin went towards her and i'm not sure if he puncture her. I hope it didn't damaged her, can it kill her?She's now all retracted about the same size as yesterday. I know that the urchin has the equivalent of a bee sting.​

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Nice one Basile, your lucky as I got stung by a carpet nem 10 odd years ago and I can honestly say it flipping hurt. Mine was on the wrist and took about 3weeks to clear up completely. I gave it a wide berth after that.

Steve L

I had a big green carpet nem do a number on my hand several years ago. The only thing I can compare the pain to is the man-o-war that stung me in Hawaii while snorkling.

DaveK

...My fingers were a bit numbs at the tip but no pain. Just num a bit but it has to be prolong exposure, ...

When you work with anemones like this, you should always wear rubber or latex gloves. They are one of the species that can actually pierce the skin, especially where you skin is thin, like at the back of the hand or inside wrist.

Some very bad injuries for anemones have occurred, requiring hospital trips. Also, consider that up north, not too many doctors are going to have experience with such conditions. It's a lot better to keep out of trouble in the first place.

Basile

When you work with anemones like this, you should always wear rubber or latex gloves. They are one of the species that can actually pierce the skin, especially where you skin is thin, like at the back of the hand or inside wrist.

Some very bad injuries for anemones have occurred, requiring hospital trips. Also, consider that up north, not too many doctors are going to have experience with such conditions. It's a lot better to keep out of trouble in the first place.

Ok good tips , rubber glove will do, thanks. Yes she's recooped now all extended again.

puffermike

The sting from even just a large Condy is finally starting to go away on my forearm and it got me late December. I'll never accidentally brush up against it again.

Basile

It was a good morning light

Their was good light today not too sunny so i made a photo shoot of the tanks, because sometimes too much glare and reflexion i get more window shot reflexion in the water than fish shots lol. So here we go

From the top of the refugium i see my reef tank like this

Photo404-1.jpg

From the roof i see my fuge like this

Photo405-1.jpg

Photo406-1.jpg

After dosing some iodine, iodides , iron and manganese , the fuge bounced back a bit

Photo403-1.jpg

The clowns are in the NPS zone as you can see no growth of algae what so ever , perfect for the NPS's.

Photo400-1.jpg

Photo397-1.jpg

Almost got a clear shot boy are they hyper....

Photo395-1.jpg

Being in the diatom stage the sponge who's normaly purple became totally brown, now she's clearing up and getting her color back to purple, mauve again.

Photo371.jpg

The first tonga sculpture's going to get 3 new additions this week , to its branches with zoos on it.

Photo386.jpg

This tonga sculpture is being overrun and cleaned up at the same time , The GSP are growing actually prety good.

Photo385.jpg

The FTS you can see the 3 pieces i was talking about , very interesting shapes as well thats why i took them too

Photo384.jpg

Photo383.jpg

Photo382.jpg

Photo381-1.jpg

I don't know what these guys found but they've been in there for 2 weeks now cleaning.

Photo372-1.jpg

One of the interesting piece, its actually a tonga branch with growth on it.

Photo370.jpg

An earlier piece i put there, i'm not good with epoxy.

Photo369-1.jpg

Photo368-1.jpg

The new star of the tank

Photo367-1.jpg

Photo355-1.jpg

What she see's , with her mouth i suppose lol

Photo353-1.jpg

Photo354-1.jpg

Photo352-1.jpg

That cucumber is too close to the letuce lol.

Photo351-1.jpg

Photo349-1.jpg

The fuge was in good light too

Photo364-1.jpg

Photo366.jpg

Photo365-1.jpg

Photo363-1.jpg

Photo362-1.jpg

Photo361-1.jpg

Photo360-1.jpg

I love a green canopee

Photo359-1.jpg

Photo358-1.jpg

Find the seahorse

Photo357-1.jpg

Photo356-1.jpg

Cleaned up my wires a bit

Photo276.jpg

Photo275.jpg

Photo274.jpg

Photo273.jpg

Basile

Do anemone retract or contract i don't know what terms you use do they do that all the time or is it a sign of trouble.

Basile

On its death bed or not

Well now mine is sick or dying, or mad a few different opinion are out there me not knowing much about nem, other that its very capricious. well i'm caught between all these observations. So i'm just reporting what i've seen heard and with a few picture you can see for yourself.

Photo437.jpg

Photo438.jpg

Photo440.jpg

So thats what's she look like right now. i have her under a box so the wavebox and the powerhead don't push her around , she's got lots of flow, she's near the glass and rock if she wants to reattach herself.

1520698_240722322762827_1934331083_n-1.jpg

mikecc

That last pic is its foot? Maybe put a clear bowl over it and dim the lights and observe. I never had an anenome such as this, just a few condies that ended bad and my BTA that seems to currently be thriving amongst its many states of visual status. I don't know if what you see there is norml or not.