A heartfelt request to all of Reef Sanctuary from the RS Staff ... We need your help

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
This is similar to the thread started by nanoreefing4fun back in June of this year
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/suggestion-box/78436-attn-all-members.html

Please take the time to read the above thread and this thread and PLEASE take it to heart . . . This is from the entire RS Staff and we really need/want your help and cooperation.

To all Reef Sanctuary members: We honestly feel like Reef Sanctuary is the BEST forum of it's kind PERIOD! We have a wide and varied membership here at Reef Sanctuary. We have several visiting guests/groups including schools. We have younger members, older members, and members from all walks of life. With that in mind the staff at Reef Sanctuary is tasked with making sure the content is appropriate for all. We have seen posts involving questionable language. Sometimes way over the line and it is edited, sometimes with a PM sent to the offending party, as a warning to remain a good citizen. Sometimes a post contains borderline language, with more subtle innuendo, but still fairly clear how the innuendo was intended. While these may be humorous to some, and seen as harmless, they are still inappropriate. The staff here at Reef Sanctuary do what we do as a favor to the Forum, including all of you our valued members.

Therefore we ask that in the future that you do not "test the system" and post something and force the staff to decide if it's appropriate. You know whether it belongs here or not so please just don't do it. Keep it clean. While you may feel you got away with something, the staff had to make a very difficult and uncomfortable decision. We've seen posts that actually said something to the effect "Let's see if the mods let this go". We seen posts that we know something should be done about, but we don't want to feel like the nanny, or lose popularity with our members, or have to end up banning someone who we consider a cyber friend. We just ask that you think a little bit and refrain from making our job any more difficult than you need to. Most forums would just whip out the ban stick and have at it, and it would be done. Reef Sanctuary is different, we believe in our members and their ability to follow basic guidelines. While the same people who are guilty of the above would trounce anyone for flaming someone else, feel nothing about making someone else feel unwelcome by posting innuendo which makes them think this isn't the place for them.

Please from here on out, police yourself...censor yourself...the staff shouldn't have to be the "bad guys". Reef Sanctuary is dedicated to being a family friendly all ages welcome forum. The first responsibility is for the education and furthering of this hobby. The web is almost limitless, there are plenty of places where other things might be appropriate that are not appropriate here. We ask you as our members and more importantly as friends and cyber-family to please watch yourselves and help to make it fun for ALL of us again.

Sincerely,
Reef Sanctuary Staff

Blue Space

Re: A heartfelt request to all of Reef Sanctuary from the RS Staff ... We need your h

Uh oh. I've probably been guilty of innuendo or inappropriate comments in the past. I think all of us here like the added humor of our regular members and sometimes we just get carried away. I wouldn't hold it against the staff for keeping me in line so "edit" away... just plzzzzz don't ban me :D I want to thank the RS staff members for providing a family safe outlet for all of us!

Willie McDaries

Re: A heartfelt request to all of Reef Sanctuary from the RS Staff ... We need your h

there's no way of making that request any nicer Al...Kudos to you sir

I will try to watch what I post a lot closer,I know I'm as guilty as anybody with the innuendos,and if I've ever posted anything that has offended anybody,I'm truly sorry

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM

Great post Big Al and honestly, all of us are guilty at one time or another.

Think about it this way folks......look at the other forums where the staff act like police and members come and go like the wind.....we have a great community here and I don't know of anyone that would say our forum is "like the others"......we are much different.

I'm on board!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Very well phrased Al. I'm as guilty or probably more guilty as any. (Right Steve n Glenn?) Its really easy to just be having conversations with friends and thinking there are no young kids here (other than Ben and other 16 yr olds) (it never dawns on me that youngsters would read this stuff! Young kids I know have 0 interest unless its attached to an Xbox :D ) but I guess there are younger kids searching this forum. I apologize for my behavior and lack of self censorship. I have 14 and 16 year old kids n have typically try to keep most of my responses to be something that they'd hear in school or I feel they already understand. Yet knowing that much younger kids are keeping reefs I will b more cautious of my future posts.

On that note, any plans on an above 18 section where we can reef chat without concerns of being poor examples of reefers? Batcave? Check. Beercave? Woohoo.

I thoroughly enjoy rs and love the principles rs stands for. Thanks for having me and these other fine reefers. U know who u are.

Matt

..........rarely am I speechless

Built347

Re: A heartfelt request to all of Reef Sanctuary from the RS Staff ... We you

Im with matt a 100% except for all the having kids parts.. im sorry for my contribution.. sometimes it feels like im in a room drinking beers with my drunk cop and F.A buddies.. n that dang auzzie sometimes too... I have a bad filter I will be better from now on

PLEASE give us a real 18+ batcave.. premium only n id even pay alittle more.. I have horrible things to say to my buddies.. :D..

I am also sorry if i offended anyone. I mean the absolute best with my words and theres always a smile typing them..

Thanks Al and thanks everyone else for this wonderful place

carlfike

Re:

Very well phrased Al. I'm as guilty or probably more guilty as any. (Right Steve n Glenn?) Its really easy to just be having conversations with friends and thinking there are no young kids here (other than Ben and other 16 yr olds) (it never dawns on me that youngsters would read this stuff! Young kids I know have 0 interest unless its attached to an Xbox :D ) but I guess there are younger kids searching this forum. I apologize for my behavior and lack of self censorship. I have 14 and 16 year old kids n have typically try to keep most of my responses to be something that they'd hear in school or I feel they already understand. Yet knowing that much younger kids are keeping reefs I will b more cautious of my future posts.

On that note, any plans on an above 18 section where we can reef chat without concerns of being poor examples of reefers? Batcave? Check. Beercave? Woohoo.

Matt

.....rarely am I speechless

+1

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

Thank you! Your comments are VERY appreciated! I can't take credit for this post... it was a "Group Effort" by the whole RS staff. Each of us care greatly for RS and all of our members. It's because of you guys that we are here and why they volunteer so much of their personal time to help keep it some a GREAT place to hang out and learn.

Again I genuinely appreciate your kind words and support as does the rest of the staff here. I just happen to be the one who posted this.... they really do care for you guys :) (notice I said THEY care for you bunch of jokers LOL).

Thank you!

dmatt88

Hey Al, any way to add the 18+ forum? We would pay for it.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador

I've probably been guilty of it myself a time or ten. I'll be more cautious. Thanks for the reminder Al

Willie McDaries

we're all friends here,sometimes we forget that others are reading some of the crazy stuff we post and to some folks,it probable does get offensive,but it is all meant to be fun or funny,it's just that some of us have a warped sense of humor :lol:

Willie McDaries

It will be discussed I can assure you of that bud :)

Al,on KRS we have an 18+ forum that is password protected,from the admin console,it's easy to set up and only members who request the password can get in...it's referred to as the fight club LOL but it keeps a lot of the nonsense out of the public eye...just a thought

I have a national site ....it's not about reef keeping..but I have a section set up that vets are apart of and only they can enter in it..it's almost anything goes talk. It's actually very nice to have its a lot of off topic and crazy talk sometimes even way out of my taste but the members that have been on my site for such a long time and have built great online relationships with each other seem to really enjoy it. It's quite a very busy section on the site. Since my site has solid rules and moderators deleting post and in the rules. Keep the drama at the door..... They have a special place to go. Members that have been on the site for a year or longer can join that section. This specific section within the site their are not any rules. So the ladies are craaaaazy. It's an all woman site. You can just imagine women being women..lol

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador

That raises all kinds of interesting questions about you Nano...which i wont ask, cause im a gentleman.

Willie McDaries

I have a national site ....it's not about reef keeping..but I have a section set up that vets are apart of and only they can enter in it..it's almost anything goes talk. It's actually very nice to have its a lot of off topic and crazy talk sometimes even way out of my taste but the members that have been on my site for such a long time and have built great online relationships with each other seem to really enjoy it. It's quite a very busy section on the site. Since my site has solid rules and moderators deleting post and in the rules. Keep the drama at the door..... They have a special place to go. Members that have been on the site for a year or longer can join that section. This specific section within the site their are not any rules. So the ladies are craaaaazy. It's an all woman site. You can just imagine women being women..lol

some of the ladies my wife works with are worse talking than the guys I work with,they go out of their way to try to embarrass me,I wont get into details but they usually succeed :lol:

steved13

PREMIUM

Thanks for all the nice words folks I appreciate it and I'm sure the rest of the staff do also.

We felt that pointing out that, it's not a machine that has to make the tough decisions, it's a person. A person who is volunteering their time and effort to keep RS on track for all of you. It's nice to hear you all will try not to make our jobs more difficult than they should be.

Thanks

soco

heartfelt request to all of Reef Sanctuary from the RS Staff ... We need your help

+1 on the 18 up section!

Waya

Very nicely put al. I am guilty of this as well and will police myself better in the future. It is nice to know that kids are taking interest in this hobby. I know my son wants to be right beside me anytime I am working on the tank. I love this forum and the community that goes along with it.

Happy reefing,
Mike Miller

yankieman

Can you just feel the love,,,,,,, I love RS,