A Fish Quarantine Process - Step by Step

Status
Not open for further replies.

leebca

The sponge filter comes in a triangle form (like those sold by a company called Lee (no relation). They also come in round, tubular and other shapes. An Internet search for sponge filters should get a lot of hits. However, to start you off, try this link:
Sponge Filters at Big Al's Online

With regards to the quarantine of non fish -- the same QT can be used IF no copper or other meds were used to cure the fish. This would require special cleaning of the QT to make it ready again for invertebrates. Regarding invertebrate quarantine, you might get some more info from this article:
An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Thanks! I'll probably set up the quarantine tank at my brother-in-law's house because I have no room for it. We can both use the same QT. I do all his tank maintenance now anyway.

Also, what is a good light for quarantining corals in a 10 gallon tank? Something that is cost effective since it will oly be used occassionally? Thanks

leebca

I'm not familiar enough with the light needs of corals, so you'll need to ask this question in another forum. Sorry.

I'm not familiar enough with the light needs of corals, so you'll need to ask this question in another forum. Sorry.

Okie Dokie...and why don't they have a quarantine tank section for the coral forum? You're supposed to quarantine them too. I think by only having a QT tank section in the fish section that people often assume that corals don't need to be quarantined too. Just curious :)

livebait

Also, what is a good light for quarantining corals in a 10 gallon tank? Something that is cost effective since it will oly be used occassionally? Thanks

I'm no expert but imo if you had a hood with a screw in type incandescent bulb you could use a Coralife 50/50 CFL. Inexpensive and puts out 50w, should be more than enough to qt corals in a 10g. :white:

Status
Not open for further replies.